Search the dictionary
Search Chinese-Tools.com
View recent posts | Search | Navigate:

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
I just finished reading "The Rose of Versailles " manga..
Posted by: Canuck (IP Logged)
Date: July 12, 2009 11:21PM
OMG, I finished the whole comic in 3 days, I found it at used manga stores in Vancouver.

As most of you probably know in two days, it’s july 14th, 220 years ago, in Paris, it was French revolution. Did anybody actual read this manga?

Yes this manga is about before and during the French Revolution. In the early part of the series, the main character is the young, flighty Queen of France, Marie Antoinette.

however later the focus of the story shifts to a woman named Oscar François de Jarjayes..

Hey, my co-workers think I am crazy, in my age, I still read graphic novels….she is a redneck girl, people who listen to Carrie Underwood and never eat sushi in her life, I lend her this manga, she finished in a day and told me she cried after reading it.

Am I too otaku? 20 years ago, I watch the same anime in Hong Kong TV at 4:30pm, then i go to my grade 4 class, talk about revolution, conflict class, "let them eat cake" shit, my elemetary teacher scared shit out of her, because it was just after Tiananmen Masscare, adult said something like that, would send to labour camp.

20 years later, Canada here, with the freedom around me, I still love this type of historical anime and feel like i have lost passion of politics for somehow.

Now actually after I read this manga, it reminds me China, as most of you know 1989, what if China had revolution like France, what would happen?

Manga figures like Maximilien Robespierre, play politics in both manga and history, we have that in Chinese history, Reign of Terror, put ten thousands of people on Guillotine, we Chinese have “culture revolution”. China is way bigger, land mass, people education are quite diverse. I even doubted it if there is a revolution happens in China, we would have so called “true democrat republic” like France.

Not sure anyone of you is anime/manga fans, I know Chinese hate Japanese, however, please, I mean they did great jobs at graphic novels, we have to admit that. I think my life has long been inspired by mangas. This is funny eh? So this “Rose of Versailles “ is one of them.

Anyway, I will go to French restaurant on July 14th, happy birthday republic of France.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2009 11:27PM by Canuck.

Re: I just finished reading "The Rose of Versailles " manga..
Posted by: Freemanblaze (IP Logged)
Date: July 13, 2009 03:24AM
I've never seen the series but used to see it mentioned alot in anime forums whenever discussion about Revolutionary Girl Utena was brought up. I might peep the manga in the near future but I already have quite a few series I'm reading so who knows...

Posted by: Guestpass0001 (IP Logged)
Date: July 13, 2009 10:10AM
If I ever run in to it, I will check it out. It looks very familiar.

Posted by: Tangerine (IP Logged)
Date: July 13, 2009 11:46AM
I reckon all of civilization (art, history, religion,...) can be captured on less than a dozen anime, given that the readership isn't too picky about accuracy, the beauty of language and possesses an infantile mind. Why bother with the real thing, when an anime or Donald Duck can do the job in a far more entertaining fashion?

Date: July 13, 2009 02:44PM
Tangerine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I reckon all of civilization (art, history,
> religion,...) can be captured on less than a dozen
> anime, given that the readership isn't too picky
> about accuracy, the beauty of language and
> possesses an infantile mind. Why bother with the
> real thing, when an anime or Donald Duck can do
> the job in a far more entertaining fashion?

you still wanna pick on me..

the real advantage of this manga is to inspire youth interest towards ideas of "liberty, equality, brotherhood" and french history...

do you know the author Riyoko Ikeda 池田 理代子 received France's Ordre national de la Légion d'honneur for this manga?

For people who knew little about France, " Ordre national de la Légion d'honneur" is a French order established by Napoleon Bonaparte, First Consul of the First Republic,The Order is the highest decoration in France.

Ok, i am the generation of Y, even i was not born in North America, i grow up with internet, SMS, social networking, anime, manga, we are the generation of peer-oriented and for seeking instant gratification.
we are simply two different generation if my gut is correct.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2009 02:50PM by Canuck.

Date: July 13, 2009 04:57PM
I'm picking on you because it's you who start endless threads about childish topics. Don't you have friends and a life?

Hey, it's fine by me to read an anime about another country or history at age eight or so. What's preposterous to me is then to claim you're a big Freedom Fighter or a connaisseur of French culture and history because of that anime. Do you know ANYTHING of French culture? Have you read any serious writer? Like Sartre, Céline, Camus, Flaubert, Zola, Balzac, to name just a few? Have you ever read a book about French history by an ... historian? You have that low-level culture of Baywatch, pop music and anime. Beyond that you know squat and yet you think you're superior to people. You even had the gall to say that Canadians know more about the US than Americans. I continue to pick on you therefore because you're a hick with an attitude.

Date: July 13, 2009 06:37PM
ok, i am a hick with attitude, don't reply my post then.
I am fed up with fighting endless with you. it's like fighting blackberry weed in my backyard.

Tangerine Wrote:
> I'm picking on you because it's you who start
> endless threads about childish topics. Don't you
> have friends and a life?
>
> Hey, it's fine by me to read an anime about
> another country or history at age eight or so.
> What's preposterous to me is then to claim you're
> a big Freedom Fighter or a connaisseur of French
> culture and history because of that anime. Do you
> know ANYTHING of French culture? Have you read any
> serious writer? Like Sartre, Céline, Camus,
> Flaubert, Zola, Balzac, to name just a few? Have
> you ever read a book about French history by an
> ... historian? You have that low-level culture of
> Baywatch, pop music and anime. Beyond that you
> know squat and yet you think you're superior to
> people. You even had the gall to say that
> Canadians know more about the US than Americans.
> I continue to pick on you therefore because you're
> a hick with an attitude.

Date: July 13, 2009 08:01PM
I'm exercising my right to free speech. You have the right to start any dumb thread you want and i have the right to post a reply to it, if i feel like it.

Date: July 14, 2009 10:20AM
Canuck Wrote:
> ...it's
> like fighting blackberry weed in my backyard.

hmmm...very interesting comment....

Date: July 14, 2009 05:14PM
Guestpass0001 Wrote:
> Canuck Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > ...it's
> > like fighting blackberry weed in my backyard.
>
>
> hmmm...very interesting comment....

you know why i said blackberry, every sep, in my hick town, i pick up tons of wild blackberry and brew wine off it. you like blackberry in sep, but hate them in early spring, because they are weed, so easy to grow everywhere, you can't even touch them, it will make you bleed like hell.

you don't see this or able to get what i said unless you live in a rural area like I do.

she laughed at me because I am Chinese hick, drives bobcat and chainsaw firewood.

Date: July 14, 2009 05:54PM
I meant not to return to this thread but now i have no choice.

Guestpass, what did you mean in your post? I don't understand what was interesting.

Canuck, stop slandering me by insinuating i'm a racist. Please READ my previous post in which i asked a number of questions. You didn't answer any of these because the answer to any of them would be, No" and you'd end up with egg on your face. Instead, you called me blackberry weed.

Yes, i find you a hick. In your own words, the Chinese in Richmond BC and the ones in China have similar feelings. Never have i said anything negative about you being Chinese. In my mind, that's just about the only redeeming thing about you. Nowhere did i criticize you, here or in any other thread, about you driving a bobcat or chainsaw firewood. Heck, i didn't even know you do those things and frankly i don't care. You're just inventing things for lack of a better reply to my post.

In conclusion, not only do i find you a hick, i find you an idiot as well.

Date: July 14, 2009 09:11PM
by answer your previous question, you probably have to force people said :" well, if you like Chinese culture, you have to read "Romance of Three Kingdom" in traditional Chinese, otherwise, i think you are just those people who are not serious.

Oh, you are interested in Chinese history eh? have you read " Records of the Grand Historian " Shiji (史記), if not, how dare you said you like Chinese history.

That’s exactly what you try to accuse.

People look things differently, just like Generation of Y, which is my generation, we do not regard there is only one way to learn things.

Some people have bias towards "graphic novels" and animation thinks those are kids stuff, or worse “Otaku”, you simply should see people look/learn things differently.

That’s why I said debating with you like fighting blackberry, it’s just growing everywhere out of control.

? I don't
> understand what was interesting.
>
> Canuck, stop slandering me by insinuating i'm a
> racist. Please READ my previous post in which i
> asked a number of questions. You didn't answer any
> of these because the answer to any of them would
> be, No" and you'd end up with egg on your face.
> Instead, you called me blackberry weed.
>
> Yes, i find you a hick. In your own words, the
> Chinese in Richmond BC and the ones in China have
> similar feelings. Never have i said anything
> negative about you being Chinese. In my mind,
> that's just about the only redeeming thing about
> you. Nowhere did i criticize you, here or in any
> other thread, about you driving a bobcat or
> chainsaw firewood. Heck, i didn't even know you do
> those things and frankly i don't care. You're just
> inventing things for lack of a better reply to my
> post.
>
> In conclusion, not only do i find you a hick, i
> find you an idiot as well.

Date: July 14, 2009 09:24PM
I am not going to fight endless battle with her.

Back to the topic, today is July 14th, I can’t help think of 20 years ago, June 4th, 1989, what if China did happen like France, and what if there was actually “National Assembly” and “Tennis Court Oath” of Chinese version? There was “lady of liberty” been put on Tiananmen Square shortly on June, was smashed by tanks.

After all, China does not have our own version of “Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen”, Chinese constitution indicates people have rights of speech, rights of protests, those are barely jokes.

After so many years, I think my view towards June 4th has been changed as well. After all, China has such big land mass and diversity of population with different customs and languages, democracy can only work in a small portion of China, which population has higher education, tolerance rate and less discrimination towards others, or have influenced by western, like Hong Kong. Ps: if Hong Kong would ban celebrate June 4th, next year, then I will never visit Hong Kong again in my life.

Otherwise, I know “Culture revolution” or “warlord fight each other” are going to come back shoot yourself on the feet.

I just hope in my lifetime can see at least a little piece of democracy hope of China.

Date: July 14, 2009 10:14PM
From Canuck's other nonsense thread about manga, entitled Christmas in France:

""Date: July 05, 2009 11:15PM

<b>I am a big fans of French culture</b>, this probably was due to my childhood anime “Lady Oscar” or The Rose of Versailles.

<b>I got this interest to read French history.</b> I immigrated to Canada several years ago I could only speak little French, as I live in B.C, nobody speaks French here

I might be disappoint when I travel to France, visit place of Versailles, Bastille Place… <b>as all I know about France is from Japanese anime, from story of Marie Antoinette.
Real life is not animation eh? However, I do wanna visit every destination it was mentioned in the anime, lady Oscar.. </b>""

First of all, i ROTFL as i read that thread as this is now your third plan (according to your numerous threads about this topic) about how you're going to spend Christmas: first it was Vegas, then China (of which i doubt you have seen much more than the little area encompassing your home village, Hong Kong and Shenzhen--and probably these two big cities not EVEN all that well). And now … la douce France!

You know squat about French culture or the French language. If I’m wrong, PROVE it to me because, unfortunately for you, I happen to know a lot about them. In the quoted post you said that you got "this interest to read French history." But, obviously, you never did other than reading a children's manga. And this you dare now to label the education for Generation Y. Don't let me laugh. I know people much younger than you who are much better educated and, unlike you, possess a broad culture. They read real books, know about art, have seen a chunk of the world... You have said in a thread here that you have been in Canada for TEN years and supposedly attend college. TEN years in Canada and you still barely know English beyond WTF and “wanna”. It’s unbelievable!

What you are saying is as silly as me saying that at age seven i read Donald Duck while living in Europe and that qualifies me a scholar on US culture and history.

I've never encountered someone as insecure and self-absorbed as you who's always seeking attention. Not long ago I've accused you of being 28 going on 14. That was a mistake. You're 28 going on 8!

And you're probably going to spend Christmas on Vancouver Island... stoned.

Date: July 14, 2009 10:23PM
Tangerine Wrote:
> Guestpass, what did you mean in your post? I don't
> understand what was interesting.

Canuck Wrote:
> Guestpass0001 Wrote:
> -----
> > Canuck Wrote:
> >
>
> > > ...it's
> > > like fighting blackberry weed in my backyard.
> >
> >
> > hmmm...very interesting comment....
>
>
> you know why i said blackberry, every sep, in my
> hick town, i pick up tons of wild blackberry and
> brew wine off it. you like blackberry in sep, but
> hate them in early spring, because they are weed,
> so easy to grow everywhere, you can't even touch
> them, it will make you bleed like hell.
>
> you don't see this or able to get what i said
> unless you live in a rural area like I do.

I thought it was interesting because I am very familiar with wild blackberry weed and wild huckleberry weed. I can find it growing crazy here in Golden Gate Park, which for all purposes, serves as my big backyard. And when I was a kid, I remember having to walk dirt paths with this weed alongside. Yeah, I pick them to eat, too. But I know exactly what he's talking about because it's thorny and prickly, real nasty weed that can grow like a bush and cover a good area with its sprawling vines and make space impenetrable.

But Canuck, that's great that you make wine out of it. I bet it must be very sweet like a desert wine. My aunt used to go to Washington every year and make jam from the berries and give jars away to all the relatives. I was a real hog with the jam. So delicious.

Anyway, when he mentioned it, it brought back memories. And I liked how Canuck used that sentence. I'm going to have to steal that line.grinning smiley

Date: July 14, 2009 10:36PM
whatever i said is wrong and childish, now you win, ok?
it's like 只许周官防火,不许百姓点灯“。 do you know that term?
i can explain it to you later if you can't find it.

Tangerine Wrote:
> From Canuck's other nonsense thread about manga,
> entitled Christmas in France:
>
> ""Date: July 05, 2009 11:15PM
>
> I am a big fans of French culture, this probably
> was due to my childhood anime “Lady Oscar” or
> The Rose of Versailles.
>
> I got this interest to read French history. I
> immigrated to Canada several years ago I could
> only speak little French, as I live in B.C, nobody
> speaks French here
>
> I might be disappoint when I travel to France,
> visit place of Versailles, Bastille Place… as
> all I know about France is from Japanese anime,
> from story of Marie Antoinette.
> Real life is not animation eh? However, I do wanna
> visit every destination it was mentioned in the
> anime, lady Oscar.. ""
>
> First of all, i ROTFL as i read that thread as
> this is now your third plan (according to your
> numerous threads about this topic) about how
> you're going to spend Christmas: first it was
> Vegas, then China (of which i doubt you have seen
> much more than the little area encompassing your
> home village, Hong Kong and Shenzhen--and probably
> these two big cities not EVEN all that well). And
> now … la douce France!
>
> You know squat about French culture or the French
> language. If I’m wrong, PROVE it to me because,
> unfortunately for you, I happen to know a lot
> about them. In the quoted post you said that you
> got "this interest to read French history." But,
> obviously, you never did other than reading a
> children's manga. And this you dare now to label
> the education for Generation Y. Don't let me
> laugh. I know people much younger than you who are
> much better educated and, unlike you, possess a
> broad culture. They read real books, know about
> art, have seen a chunk of the world... You have
> said in a thread here that you have been in Canada
> for TEN years and supposedly attend college. TEN
> years in Canada and you still barely know English
> beyond WTF and “wanna”. It’s unbelievable!
>
>
> What you are saying is as silly as me saying that
> at age seven i read Donald Duck while living in
> Europe and that qualifies me a scholar on US
> culture and history.
>
> I've never encountered someone as insecure and
> self-absorbed as you who's always seeking
> attention. Not long ago I've accused you of being
> 28 going on 14. That was a mistake. You're 28
> going on 8!
>
> And you're probably going to spend Christmas on
> Vancouver Island... stoned.

Date: July 14, 2009 10:42PM
yes, when i was highschool, i walk pass little trail , i saw wild deer picked up blackberry with me together, they are not even afraid of human being. I know it sounds too Disney, wait until you visit here.

My backyard has enough blackberry to brew 50L of wine no problem, plus I use them to bake pie and after dinner just go to backyard again and pick up little bid for snack.

You know what? If you wanna nobody B&N or trespassing your backyard, blackberry is perfect for them..lol. although shotgun works too, lol..

Guestpass0001 Wrote:
> Tangerine Wrote:
> -----
> > Guestpass, what did you mean in your post? I
> don't
> > understand what was interesting.
>
>
> Canuck Wrote:
> -----
> > Guestpass0001 Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Canuck Wrote:
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > > > ...it's
> > > > like fighting blackberry weed in my
> backyard.
> > >
> > >
> > > hmmm...very interesting comment....
> >
> >
> > you know why i said blackberry, every sep, in
> my
> > hick town, i pick up tons of wild blackberry
> and
> > brew wine off it. you like blackberry in sep,
> but
> > hate them in early spring, because they are
> weed,
> > so easy to grow everywhere, you can't even
> touch
> > them, it will make you bleed like hell.
> >
> > you don't see this or able to get what i said
> > unless you live in a rural area like I do.
>
>
> I thought it was interesting because I am very
> familiar with wild blackberry weed and wild
> huckleberry weed. I can find it growing crazy
> here in Golden Gate Park, which for all purposes,
> serves as my big backyard. And when I was a kid,
> I remember having to walk dirt paths with this
> weed alongside. Yeah, I pick them to eat, too.
> But I know exactly what he's talking about because
> it's thorny and prickly, real nasty weed that can
> grow like a bush and cover a good area with its
> sprawling vines and make space impenetrable.
>
> But Canuck, that's great that you make wine out of
> it. I bet it must be very sweet like a desert
> wine. My aunt used to go to Washington every year
> and make jam from the berries and give jars away
> to all the relatives. I was a real hog with the
> jam. So delicious.
>
> Anyway, when he mentioned it, it brought back
> memories. And I liked how Canuck used that
> sentence. I'm going to have to steal that line.grinning smiley

Posted by: Ronaldboll (IP Logged)
Date: June 16, 2015 09:20PM

This forum is currently read only. This is a temporary situation. Please check back later.
Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
page served in 0.067s