Search the dictionary
Search Chinese-Tools.com
View recent posts | Search | Navigate:

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
TIA and China
Posted by: Canada (IP Logged)
Date: September 10, 2009 02:36PM
What Will It Take to Stop Trade with China? (Joseph Sheppard)
Quote:
We have all done it. We have visited the local “China-Mart” and returned home to discover our goods labeled “Made in China” (and I don’t mean Taiwan). For some of us there is a twang of guilt as we realize many of these products are a result of slave labor, or at the least, working conditions that the laws of our country would not allow. We also remember the recent news reports about how Chinese seafood was raised in raw sewage and how many have died from sweeteners used in Chinese-exported cough medicine. Of course, we should not worry about such isolated incidents now, since the Communist government of China has executed its top food and drug official.

The China Threat. Where is the Response? (Toby Westerman)
Quote:
As China builds its military and commercial muscle, "the next superpower" is also becoming increasingly brazen toward the government of the United States, especially to the Congress of the United States.
On July 4th, U.S. Independence Day, the Chinese Foreign Ministry issued a "demand" that the Congress forget national security concerns and meekly allow UNOCAL's sale to Chinese interests. "We demand that the U.S. Congress correct its mistaken ways…" and "stop interfering in the normal commercial exchanges between enterprises of the two countries," according to Agence France-Presse.

What do you think?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2009 11:19PM by Olive.

Re: TIA and China
Posted by: Uberche (IP Logged)
Date: September 10, 2009 06:42PM
He's a retarded Religious zealot. But he's not wrong about the financial aspect of the issue. The USA is shooting itself in the foot (and leg, arm, sternum, neck and shoulder) with the immense trade deficit and it needs to start bringing jobs back to the USA if it wants to survive...

Date: September 10, 2009 07:04PM
They are actually 2 different people.

Posted by: Tangerine (IP Logged)
Date: September 10, 2009 10:41PM
Uberche Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
it needs to start bringing jobs back to the USA if it wants to survive...

Not necessarily. What the US needs to do is throw the illegals out! And there's an effective law already on the books to do just that. It's called e-verify that now will be made mandatory. Finally!

K-12 education is free and community college costs next to nothing. And that's really the bare minimum of educational requirements that give access to a limited basket of jobs with reasonable pay. If people don't want to learn, don't want to acquire skills, then so be it! They'll be working for their whole life in minimum wage jobs, many jobs now being done by illegals. If China can do unskilled jobs cheaper than the US, power to them. I'm happy that millions of people there will be lifted out of poverty.

This is one reality. There are other realities. Before 1980 (i.e. before Reagan) the highest tax bracket in the US was 70%. Since Bush it's 35%! Let's start taxing the rich again. Let's start taking away the welfare to the wealthy. A big piece of welfare that gets me always mad is the Farm Bill. Small farmers, such as the apple growers in Washington, may get $700 per year in subsidies from this. The big money flows to people who live on Madison Avenue, NY, or Beverly Hills, Ca, who own a nice weekend estate of a hundred acres or more, land that hasn't been farmed in decades! That's the maddening reality of the Farm Bill. And there's plenty of welfare doled out to the wealthy and the rich corporations. After all, they can afford to retain the lobbyists.

Part of post deleted.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2009 09:15PM by Tangerine.

Date: September 11, 2009 07:34AM
Yeah taxing the rich would help but that's unlikely to happen any time soon and the illegals are doing jobs that a great deal of the USA wont do.

I'm not saying bring back ALL the jobs, just enough to keep the USA running. I agree with helping out the developing nations but I would also question just how much these slave labour factory jobs are helping the poor and have-nots in China... It's the rich factory owners who get the money as well as teh Western companies who turn around and sell the product for 100x what they paid. If those companies were honestly giving the savings back to the USA maybe it'd be helping more but that's unlikely to ever happen...

A country MUST be manufacturing something that other countries want in order to stay afloat. The USA has become a Service Industry country (outside of arms dealing) which doesn't bring any money in and sends lots of money out. How can a country survive if it's not making any money?

Posted by: Tangerine (IP Logged)
Date: September 11, 2009 09:41AM
Uberche wrote:
"The USA has become a Service Industry country (outside of arms dealing) which doesn't bring any money in and sends lots of money out."

Hello? The US still has a formidable position in areas such as IT and will continue to hold that place as it produces great innovators from top schools. Also maintains a high position in research and other areas. So, please don't dismiss the US as merely a burger & fries nation.

Two characteristics about the US represent its strength:

- Innovation
- People willing to work hard and take risks

That's a powerful combination and not many countries can equal that--particularly in an environment not bogged down by endless red tape.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2009 09:16PM by Tangerine.

Taiwan, Hong Kong, Tibet, Macau
Date: September 11, 2009 05:29PM
They are part of China, right?

Re: Taiwan, Hong Kong, Tibet, Macau
Posted by: Canuck (IP Logged)
Date: September 11, 2009 07:21PM
yes, according to Chinese, however, personally, i think Taiwan is exception, as it's not under Chinese administration. Do not get me wrong, I am not supporter of Taiwan Independence. However, most of Chinese should not cheat ourselves that Taiwan is part of China, historically, yes, right now, no, future, who knows

However, Chinese should learn quite a bid from democracy of Taiwan though, we are all Chinese, why it works in Taiwan and not work in Mainland then?

Date: September 12, 2009 02:09AM
Tangerine Wrote:
> Uberche wrote:
> "The USA has become a Service Industry country
> (outside of arms dealing) which doesn't bring any
> money in and sends lots of money out."
>
> Hello? The US still has a formidable position in
> areas such as IT and will continue to hold that
> place as it produces great innovators from top
> schools. Also maintains a high position in
> research and other areas. So, please don't dismiss
> the US as merely a burger & fries nation.
>
> Two characteristics about the US represent its
> strength:
>
> - Innovation
> - People willing to work hard and take risks
>
> That's a powerful combination and not many
> countries can equal that--particularly in an
> environment not bogged down by endless red tape.

You're right, sorry I shouldn't have made it like they made nothing. My point is merely that with the size of the trade deficit the USA cannot go on as it is. Sooner or later China will have an Internal economy that can sell to itself and at that point the US is going to have some VERY big problems. If they would bring home some of the manufacturing it might be able to reverse some of the damage that has been done by outsourcing.

Date: September 14, 2009 04:50PM
here is some more.

[www.traditioninaction.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2009 04:54PM by Canada.

Posted by: Ashka824 (IP Logged)
Date: September 16, 2009 09:51PM
Thing has its two sides, and the pros and cons are accompanied by it.

Posted by: Silver.Panda (IP Logged)
Date: September 17, 2009 10:52AM
(Joseph Sheppard)
Quote:
The survival of the United States and its freedoms depend upon the ability of the nation to face and overcome this challenge. The war in Iraq, Supreme Court nominations, even a missing - and possibly murdered - girl in Aruba, are important news, but they cannot be allowed to distract from one of America's most important challenges - the growing strength of Communist China.

It's dated July 9, so I can only assume the writer has selectively ignored and misread relevant events in the last year, the last two years -or he's got his head up his ass -and/or- has an agenda to push.

There are holes in what's he's written too. For one thing China-Taiwan ties are closer now than at any other time that I can recall (anyone please correct me as I am hardly an expert) (link) And I too feel bad because Coke, among other major food producers, deal with Sudan (albeit surreptitiously) for the almighty gum arabic (link) So, what of China? And if China and Russia have resolved a border dispute how is that a bad thing? Tit for tat, the US has gone in and done military exercises with (outer) Mongolia (link) China and Russia? They're neighbours for crying out loud! (hmm.. I'm probably preaching to the quire, but I feel better smiling smiley )

For the US all roads lead to Rome as they follow, and rather quickly I may add, in the footsteps of history and of empires past.

I wish them good luck.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2009 10:59AM by Silver.Panda.

Date: September 17, 2009 10:57AM
So, Canada, what is your take on the links you have posted?

Date: September 17, 2009 11:19AM
Huh.. and who is this Joseph Sheppard anyway?

Google gives me a link to the.. RAND Corporation!?

Well if that's the guy, that explains it. It's corporate misinformation
(in my humble opinion, of course. don't want to get sued)

Date: September 22, 2009 05:56PM

Date: September 22, 2009 11:55PM
ooh, look, Canada is a ghost.. moody smiley

Date: September 23, 2009 06:33PM
Huh? I am a ghost?

Date: September 24, 2009 12:50AM
Yeah, well you're posting this links and then you just kind of run out.

I want to know what you think.

smiling smiley

Date: September 24, 2009 02:42PM
I find TIA makes bad arguments against China.

Date: September 25, 2009 12:44AM
TIA is apparently a religious nutjob organization. They feel the Dali Lama's magical man is just absurd but their own Magical man makes perfect sense.... idiocy.

Date: October 02, 2009 05:47PM
Uberche Wrote:
> TIA is apparently a religious nutjob organization.
> They feel the Dali Lama's magical man is just
> absurd but their own Magical man makes perfect
> sense.... idiocy.

I think TIA believes that the USA is God's country. So everyone else is second rate.

Date: October 04, 2009 11:51AM
TIA should read his bible and realize his hatred of others means he's going to hell.

Date: December 17, 2009 02:53PM

This forum is currently read only. This is a temporary situation. Please check back later.
Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
page served in 0.367s