Search the dictionary
Search Chinese-Tools.com
View recent posts | Search | Navigate:

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Do the men of China -- like most countries -- favor girls over boys?
Posted by: Curious.About.China (IP Logged)
Date: June 12, 2010 10:23PM
Hi:

I have a question about Chinese culture in relation to the gender-differential treatment of pre-adolescent children.

I notice that in most cultures, men/boy are required to treat pre-adolescent girls better* than pre-adolescent boys solely on the basis of gender.

*Better = more compassion, more sympathy, more respect, more gentleness, more easiness, more empathy, more cleanliness, more protection, more luxury, more personal space, more privacy, more security, more freedom, etc.

Is this pro-girl sexism also prevalent in China?

In China, if a boy hits a girl, will the adult male on-lookers discipline him more harshly than they would discipline a girl who hits a boy?

In China, if a boy and a girl get into a fight, will the adult male on-lookers blame the boy and sympathize with the girl, even if she started it.

Do girls in China ever exploit this pro-girl sexism?

Has there ever been a case in china were a group of girls physically-attacked a boy and got away with it simply because they are girls and he is a boy?

Are male Kung-Fu instructors easier with girls than boys?

In Chinese school, do male instructors treat girls better* than boys?

I ask because I notice this pro-girl sexism in many parts of the world. However, I'm checking to see whether this pro-sexism sexist is just as common and intense in China as it is in other parts of the world. Feminists seem to say that China favors boys over girls. Are the feminists right? Or are they just speaking about what they perceive?

Thanks,

Curious About China

Re: Do the men of China -- like most countries -- favor girls over boys?
Posted by: Uberche (IP Logged)
Date: June 14, 2010 02:10AM
China favours boys as in they want to have boys. Boys have all the opportunities, get better pay and better jobs and are never expected to sleep their way up the ladder.

It's like the 1950's and 60's in the USA basically, Boys are treated better in all aspects of work, school and business but girls are more coddled and usually treated more gently.

Posted by: Baofengyu (IP Logged)
Date: June 29, 2010 06:58AM
我知道(重男轻女)的观念对很多农村人有很深的影响, 但不知道这样的观念对城里人有没有很大的影响

Posted by: Automaticfaucet (IP Logged)
Date: July 01, 2010 11:32PM
In Chinese schools, people always like the student who get higher scores more than other students.

From the point of a male instructor, he will believe that girls are not
so important because girls will marry to boys when they grown up. And
a girl who marry a better(richer) man will be better than a girl who
can do well herself.

Posted by: China4me (IP Logged)
Date: November 10, 2011 09:52PM
Maybe as girls get older i think they are treated better (as you said as in some Western countries) BUT boys are more wanted in China.

This forum is currently read only. This is a temporary situation. Please check back later.
Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
page served in 0.308s