Translation of « 北京直属中央政府管辖 » and other questions...
Posted by: Drktmplar (IP Logged)
Date: September 22, 2009 03:11PM
1. Is this correct? 北京直属中央政府管辖。
2. What is the difference in meaning between the above sentence and the following one? 北京有中央直接管辖。
3. What does the following mean? 为人沉厚。
4. What does 百年树人 mean in the following sentence? 教育是一件十年树木，百年树人长远大计，不能急功近利。
5. What does 不方 mean in the following sentence? 不要抱住错误观点不方。
6. Is it correct to use 因 in the following way? 她因没考好而懊恼。
7. What is the difference between 盗用, 挪用 and 截留?
(PS: All sentences from nciku.com.)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2009 03:34PM by Olive.
Re: Translation of « 北京直属中央政府管辖 » and other questions...
Posted by: Seule0754 (IP Logged)
Date: September 24, 2009 10:54AM
lol... quite a lot of questions
1. i think the translation is correct...
2. 北京“由”中央直接管辖。。not “有”。由here probably means "by" , so this sentence is to say Beijing is directly governed by the central government.
3. i havent seen such a phrase...but 为人 means what a person is like in life, you can say 为人老实,that means this person is honest in life...
4. 十年树木，百年树人 is very common in chinese schools...lol...it is a metaphor which means education is like to plant trees, usually ten years' time helps plant a tree but to cultivate a person, it need one hundred years... which i think is to say education has great effect on people but much more time is needed...
长远大计：a long-term project/plan
急功近利：急---i think it means instant here
近--- present time
不能急功近利：(cant just look for ) instant results and present benefits
5. a mistake here again..not 不方, it should be 不放（fang4）。。
放= let it go...
6. yes...it is correct...因here means because
盗用： is a kind of stealing, malversation...
挪用：usually it is used in the context like 挪用公款, which means use the money that is not supposed to be spent, something like "to embezzle"
and in most of the cases 盗用 and 挪用can be used to replace each other...
lol...i am not good at enlish.hope it wont puzzle you...