Search the dictionary
Search Chinese-Tools.com
View recent posts | Search | Navigate:

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
To learn Chinese in Yangshuo
Posted by: Libby (IP Logged)
Date: May 09, 2011 02:31AM
Has anyone studied Chinese at a language school in Yangshuo? What was your experience? Any advice for very short-term study of just a few weeks?

How are the accommodations?

Thanks in advance.

Re: To learn Chinese in Yangshuo
Posted by: Tangfangren (IP Logged)
Date: May 09, 2011 02:45AM
I studied at Omeida Chinese Academy for 4 weeks half year ago (September 2010), so although it's been a while, I'm hoping my experience might be helpful. I have to say I thought it was a very good school, much better teachers than a previous experience in Beijing.

There were not many day-time students at the time though, which made me wonder about the financial situation, although they had a chinese department. For most of the time I was there, there were only four other day-time students, which wasn't too bad for me, and because our level wasn't the same it meant private classes for me instead of group classes (same price).

The teachers were great, although two of them left for another school during and just after my stay there, but according to the school they just went to another branch from the same school.

The apartment they provide was decent, which is near the school and the neighborhood had lots of restaurants and a few practical places nearby, such as a small supermarket, pharmacy, a local night market.

So all in all it was certainly a great experience, and I would recommend both Yangshouo (beautiful Town) and the school.

Posted by: Annie.Gouglass (IP Logged)
Date: May 10, 2011 03:27AM
Oh, Yangshuo, I love it ! I’ve been climbing in Yangshuo for several times. Yangshuo is popular for its incredible karst scenery, beautiful mountains, rivers, caves, and temples as well as its laid back cafes and bars. I really enjoyed my staying there. Now I’m thinking about to climb in Yangshuo again in this summer. And I’m interested in learning some Chinese there. Do you think is there any possibility to climb and learn Chinese at the same time in Yangshuo?

Posted by: Orangecountryhat (IP Logged)
Date: June 14, 2011 12:30PM
really ?

Posted by: Effychen (IP Logged)
Date: July 05, 2011 06:18AM
absolutely u can,and i am sure u will enjoy it!i am traveling in yangshuo right now,and i have a taichi lesson this morning,it was great!i planing have treking or climbing this weekend.i visited a school before,called Omeida,got a friend study there,all the students love the school,and i talked to some stuff,they are kind,humorous,esp the pricipal,he is really nice!i would highly recommend my foreign freinds learning chinese here.they also have english corner,free fruits,free beers,free food,and u can make a lot of friends there.haha……i love those free things,O(∩_∩)O~ u know.actually u have a lot free time even u study chinese there,i can tell from my friends,so yep,hope u enjoy ur study in yangshuo!

Posted by: Damalise (IP Logged)
Date: July 07, 2011 11:14PM
Omeida Chinese Academy offers experienced teachers and an optimal class size: 1 to 5 students. What I like most are the many opportunities to use what I have learned in class, e.g. when chatting with my Chinese roommate or going out for a bike tour or river swim with the Chinese students learning English at Omeida. The free conversation hour in the afternoon with my language partner is challenging but helps me gain more confidence when trying to speak Chinese. I think Yangshuo is the prefect place to study as there are plenty of afternoon and weekend excursions to relax the brain, like visiting the Longshen rice terraces and minority villages, biking in midst of the thousand hills, floating down the Li or Yu Long rivers on a bamboo raft, swimming in the river, visiting the caves, taking mud baths, etc. I am very glad to have chosen this place for my Chinese language learning.

Posted by: Bonnielinn (IP Logged)
Date: July 08, 2011 02:12AM
Yangshuo?where is it?=yangzhou?

Posted by: Shanny (IP Logged)
Date: July 22, 2011 04:19AM
Omeida... yes! that's the place i wanna recommend.
i just finished my one week lessons there. though short, but i love the atmosphere there to learn chinese. my teachers are so patient to me, and teach me a lot. i will still travel around china for 3 more weeks. i think my chinese course in omeida could help me a lot! =) now i know how to ask the price, the way, i even know how to make a joke in chinese language! hahaha... lol.

Posted by: Saminchina (IP Logged)
Date: May 02, 2012 11:45PM
yangshuo is outside of guilin, in the guangxi provence. such a goregous location! i studied with omeida and definitely had time to cycle out to some awesome climbing spots. in response to there not being many students, maybe it was just the time of year. there's a fair amount now, but my classes were all 2-3 other beginners.

Posted by: Michaelchiarello (IP Logged)
Date: May 08, 2012 01:01PM
Hello friends,

Yangshuo is a famous foreign tourist destination. You can go to hiking, cyclyling and rock climbing etc. You'll be amazed at the scenery! There are an assortment of bars on West Street. If you want to study basic Chinese language, Yangshuo is an ideal place. Welcome to Yangshuo!

Regards
Michael

Posted by: Celiacelia (IP Logged)
Date: June 05, 2012 06:26PM
Yangshuo to listen to them is a very good place

Posted by: Janie00 (IP Logged)
Date: April 19, 2013 01:04PM
Hi Libby,

I'm Janie Chen. I am a private Mandarin teacher living and working in Yangshuo.
Yangshuo is famous for tai chi, climbing and English schools (for Chinese people). But it's also a great place to study Chinese: much cheaper and healthier than big cities, and an amazing place to discover Chinese culture!

Omeida is famous because of the many many short term students. Personnally, I have students who stay often for more than 4 months, and as a private teacher (with exceptions for couples or very small groups) I am easily fully booked and thus don't have many people who could spend this much time advertising it everywhere..

My website is full of details about Yangshuo, learning Mandarin Chinese in here and details about the courses (either Intensive Chinese or Survival Chinese).

Site: www.learn-chinese-in-yangshuo.com

Foreigners often think a private teacher is too expensive. Because in foreign countries, it is impossible to afford for many students.
You will find that costs of living are ridiculously low in Yangshuo and that the prices are very reasonable priced, even when compared to the private schools in Yangshuo.
No reason not to give it a try!

I give a free introductory lesson on SKype, so you can get a feel for my personality and teaching method. (contact me via my website)

Best regards,

Janie Chen

Posted by: Gliyly (IP Logged)
Date: May 07, 2013 12:20AM
wow

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2013 12:22AM by Gliyly.

This forum is currently read only. This is a temporary situation. Please check back later.
Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
page served in 1.239s