View recent posts | Search | Navigate:
Forums > Travel to China > Re: Why no Facebook in China?

New Topic
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Why no Facebook in China?
Posted by: Charmaineangelasis (IP Logged)
Date: March 13, 2011 12:55AM
Need some answer for my research about china. Please help me. Thank alot

Re: Why no Facebook in China?
Posted by: Astroboy (IP Logged)
Date: March 13, 2011 01:59AM
Because social media is an effective tool for separatists in organizing revolts and causing social unrests.

Re: Why no Facebook in China?
Posted by: Piggerman (IP Logged)
Date: March 13, 2011 06:24AM
Well said Astro.

also

Facebook is a bit too much information about people in my opinion. Some things are not meant to be said in front of other people. I have seen man and wife turn on each other and make hurtful comments. I have seen marriages fall apart. I have seen rifts put in families because of the generation gap. I have a cousin that uses a GPS app that reports and posts to Facebook when he drives by certain stores and is in certain intersections of the road. TMI!!! Too Much Information!!

I really do not understand why Facebook is so damn important, China has QQ.com which is basically the same thing, post pictures, make friends, play games, leave comments. Youtube is another one which is blocked, this is ok also because China has Youku.com which has even more videos and alot of the same videos as Youtube.

There are more people that use the internet in China than the entire population of America including elderly and newborns.

I think another reason might be the amount of money that rolls thru these websites thru advertising. Facebook is worth billions of dollars. This money might want to be kept in country, If it rolls thru google or facebook all that RMB is going back to America.

Lets look back at Google also. Google tried to act like the american company that it is and tried to allow content that the government did not want to allow. Needless to say Google has lost its share of the 1.3 billion person China market and asked to leave the country.

If one travels to or lives in a foreign country they must abide by the laws of said country and be held subject to them.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2011 06:34AM by Piggerman.

Re: Why no Facebook in China?
Posted by: Lqtlovers (IP Logged)
Date: March 19, 2011 11:46AM
I have a way to open facebook.com in china.
I can use it hehe.

So seldom does people know~

Re: Why no Facebook in China?
Posted by: Charmaineangelasis (IP Logged)
Date: March 20, 2011 01:35AM
by using Tenacy VPN?

Re: Why no Facebook in China?
Posted by: Astroboy (IP Logged)
Date: March 21, 2011 03:08AM
Everybody knows about VPN and everybody knows it's illegal.

Facebook already has 500mil people signed up. I would be very worried if China allows FB to penetrate its 1.3 bil population and making that Jewish boy Mark Zuckerberg even richer than he is now.

Re: Why no Facebook in China?
Posted by: Moroes (IP Logged)
Date: March 22, 2011 12:41AM
Piggerman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think another reason might be the amount of
> money that rolls thru these websites thru
> advertising. Facebook is worth billions of
> dollars. This money might want to be kept in
> country, If it rolls thru google or facebook all
> that RMB is going back to America.

You mean China doesn't want the US to make money and pay back its debts to China?

What's next they going to ban Toyota, GM and VW for outselling the local brands. They going to ban Ikea for selling too much furniture.

Pfft yeah right. Its not about money. China can make money within its own economy in so many ways. So much money that Facebook hardly puts any threat to China's economy. There are so many foreign companies in China dominating its market shares for that industry. Like Cellphones where Iphone, Nokia etc. are outselling local brands.

So many Asian countries/places use Facebook like Sinagpore, Indonesia, Malaysia and Hong Kong. And look their economy ain't destroyed by Facebook. In fact it makes them more connected to the world. Chinese people in these countries can contact all their old college buds/ex work colleagues in Canada, Austrilia, UK and US. And funny enough a lot Chinese poeple in these countries have no idea about QQ and renren. Or they do know but won't bother with it.

> Lets look back at Google also. Google tried to act
> like the american company that it is and tried to
> allow content that the government did not want to
> allow. Needless to say Google has lost its share
> of the 1.3 billion person China market and asked
> to leave the country.
>
> If one travels to or lives in a foreign country
> they must abide by the laws of said country and be
> held subject to them.

Google did mostly abide by China's laws. Google felt like it was being pushed around. They just decide not to take it anymore and leave. Google left China. Not kicked out. I mean if people can't experience Google as a whole why bother. Chinese people won't be interested in a half blocked up Google anyway so they just left. It would have just ruined the brand.

Re: Why no Facebook in China?
Posted by: Piggerman (IP Logged)
Date: March 24, 2011 06:55AM
Facebook was valued at 78.5 Billion dollars as of Jan. 28 2011

[www.bloomberg.com]


Google was asked to leave for not installing filters and allowing content that the Government did not want to allow. You can say they pulled out by choice. Either way Google lost out on a 1.3 billion person market.

[www.csmonitor.com]

Its China they have the RIGHT to control what they want THIER citizens to see or not see. Dont like it find a way around the filters to use these applications. Get caught you wont be happy.

So Nokia controls the hand set market who controls the network these phones use?? Its not a foreign owned company i can tell you that. China is not going to allow these 2 american companies take over the internet business. You can scoff at millions of dollars but to pull 70 billion from your economy is something i doubt the government is in a hurry to do.

I am only debating from the economic stand point, we can go into the social debate as well.

Re: Why no Facebook in China?
Posted by: Moroes (IP Logged)
Date: March 24, 2011 10:27AM
Is there suppose to be a debate?

Piggerman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Facebook was valued at 78.5 Billion dollars as of
> Jan. 28 2011
>
> [www.bloomberg.com]-
> s-82-9-billion-value-tops-amazon-com-trails-only-g
> oogle-on-web.html
>
>
> Google was asked to leave for not installing
> filters and allowing content that the Government
> did not want to allow. You can say they pulled
> out by choice. Either way Google lost out on a 1.3
> billion person market.
>
> [www.csmonitor.com]
> 323/Google-China-pullout-What-has-changed
>
> Its China they have the RIGHT to control what they
> want THIER citizens to see or not see. Dont like
> it find a way around the filters to use these
> applications. Get caught you wont be happy.

Same thing I wrote China's government pushed Google around and Google decided to not take it anymore. Google being half blocked up would have lost the 1.3 billion customers anyway. So why waste money and time chasing a market you can't have.

> So Nokia controls the hand set market who controls
> the network these phones use?? Its not a foreign
> owned company i can tell you that. China is not
> going to allow these 2 american companies take
> over the internet business. You can scoff at
> millions of dollars but to pull 70 billion from
> your economy is something i doubt the government
> is in a hurry to do.
>
> I am only debating from the economic stand point,
> we can go into the social debate as well.

You haven't really made much of a debate. So what if Facebook can take Billions. What about all these other big MNCs in China?

About cell phones. Your argument is how Locals control the telecom networks? What? Some industries for sure are run by locals. Like Water, electricity etc. Would be weird if they didn't. That doesn't stop Nokia/Apple at all. In fact China's Telecom companies are promoting Nokia and Apple. Look the cell phone industry is worth BILLIONS! If all 1.3 Billion people have cell phones Nokia and Apple have the possibility to even take TRILLIONS. Doesn't that make Facebook and the social networks look small.

The whole point was that there are so many foreign companies here making billions. So saying Facebook was also kicked out because it was an economic threat is like creating unnecessary controversy. It’s just that China is just that politically sensitive. You already pointed that out. And that's it. It’s just political reasons. China doesn't care about companies coming in and making money so long as they don't disrupt the country. Its just that you wrote this:

[quote=Piggerman]I think another reason might be the amount of money that rolls thru these websites thru advertising. Facebook is worth billions of dollars. This money might want to be kept in country, If it rolls thru google or facebook all that RMB is going back to America.[/quote]

Re: Why no Facebook in China?
Posted by: Astroboy (IP Logged)
Date: March 24, 2011 11:47AM
Yes, it's not about money. It's about the danger of a western-controlled (and Jewish at that) social media dominating China's internet industry.

This is not just a communist thing. A lot of Asian governments are sensitive about ownership of mainstream and social media. Singapore government practically owns 100% of its newspapers and magazines. Likewise, all newspapers and mainstream media in Malaysia is owned by members of the ruling party. And guess who owns South China Media Post in Hong Kong? A tycoon named Robert Kuok, a Malaysian Chinese, who promptly sacked the incumbent chief and placed his daughter in charge. Kuok is closely allied with the China govt.

I am sure the US will also not allow CNN or any of its major media companies to be controlled by China.

Now you see the big picture?

Re: Why no Facebook in China?
Posted by: Piggerman (IP Logged)
Date: March 25, 2011 07:56AM
I do I do see the big picture and it is my belief that money is also a part of that same picture. as well as the social unrest they can create if controlled by somone with not so friendly thoughts twards certain countries.

I was not saying these companies can destroy China's economy, only that they had the ability to pull a good chunk of change from it.

In America a foreign interest is not allowed to own or control major media outlets. This would be horrible if the American Government lost one of its propaganda arms.*end sarcasm* Small anti newspapers do not count.

As for the foreign phone handsets this is a product that can be marked up, so as a benifit there is profit to be made for a vendor selling these items where as the websites there are no middlemen, that money is gone from the economy. With the pricetag on these items is it really something that every person can afford??

Were these sites blocked solely for monetary reasons?? no, perhaps just a part of the reason.

Re: Why no Facebook in China?
Posted by: Uberche (IP Logged)
Date: March 27, 2011 10:00AM
The sites were banned for two reasons 1 - They didn't allow the Chinese government to control what was allowed and 2 - The Chinese are unable to compete on a level playing field so they just stole the technology from the Western companies and then banned them. Facebook became Renren, Twitter became Sina Microblogs, Youtube became Youku, Google became Baidu.

The lie that it was because of the protests was a joke, MSN could be used to organize protests just as easily but it wasn't banned. So could all kinds of other services that weren't banned.

You grow popular in China in the communication industry and you don't allow the Chinese government to censor and control what is seen, you will be banned. If you threaten a Chinese company for control of the Chinese market, especially in the communication industry, you will be banned. Such is business in China.

Re: Why no Facebook in China?
Posted by: Echineseonline (IP Logged)
Date: March 28, 2011 02:29AM
facebook is the world's largest networking platform, many Chinese people are in the application facebook

Re: Why no Facebook in China?
Posted by: Martin3330 (IP Logged)
Date: March 08, 2012 10:42PM
I use VPNinja as my VPN in China. That's cool to get access to Facebook, Youtube or Hulu in this country!
VPNinja

Re: Why no Facebook in China?
Posted by: Jane332 (IP Logged)
Date: March 26, 2012 05:06AM
really? no FB in china?

Re: Why no Facebook in China?
Posted by: Jyaky125 (IP Logged)
Date: April 05, 2012 12:04PM
Facebook is a bit too much information about people in my opinion. Some things are not meant to be said in front of other people. I have seen man and wife turn on each other and make hurtful comments. I have seen marriages fall apart. I have seen rifts put in families because of the generation gap. I have a cousin that uses a GPS app that reports and posts to Facebook when he drives by certain stores and is in certain intersections of the road. TMI!!! Too Much Information!!
Top Ten classified website

Re: Why no Facebook in China?
Posted by: Rampboy (IP Logged)
Date: April 07, 2012 01:41AM
I heard on perezhilton.com that china has blocked ppl from using facebook and twitter




.....................
Exhibits Displays

Re: Why no Facebook in China?
Posted by: Stewart11 (IP Logged)
Date: April 07, 2012 07:23AM
Facebook has been censored by the Chinese government in reaction to the Xinjiang riots. The Chinese government run the internet through a National firewall or filter this prevents almost any Chinese computer within China to access websites they deem unacceptable..

Moving Services

Re: Why no Facebook in China?
Posted by: Brenda48 (IP Logged)
Date: February 25, 2013 05:04AM
I think that it's terrible to censor like that. People should be able to get whatever information they want. Honestly, it worries me traveling to a place where you can get in trouble for simply using the internet. However, I personally do not have a choice and am traveling for work. I did my homework and found what I hope is the best proxy. I have to pay for it, but it's worth it and the support team has always emailed me back super quickly. I will be using Securitales.com. I have been told that there is no way for the government to see my online activity using this site. Has anyone had experience with this?



This forum is currently read only. This is a temporary situation. Please check back later.
Phorum
YPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//"> Re: Why no Facebook in China? - Re: Why no Facebook in China?
page served in 0.079s