Search the dictionary
Search Chinese-Tools.com
View recent posts | Search | Navigate:

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
About the city-Shanghai
Posted by: Jue (IP Logged)
Date: May 10, 2009 07:08AM
HI,friends

The 2010 World Expo will hold in Shanghai. How much do you know about the city?
I was born in the city, there are many foreigners working and living in Shanhai right now. I wonder that the foreigners in Shanghai could come to the WORLD EXPO.hot smiley

coata

Re: About the city-Shanghai
Posted by: Chinatranslator (IP Logged)
Date: July 06, 2009 06:18AM
That must be a great moment ! ShangHai is the biggest city in China, although i have only been there twice, I like it very much and have a good impression on it !

Posted by: Sunsetlover (IP Logged)
Date: July 22, 2009 09:28AM
I was in Shanghai just 2 weeks ago...I love Shanghai, but because of the 2010 Expo construction, the area around The Bund is a mess! For visitors going there now you should know that the Bund promenade is closed. Also the traffic on The Bund creates dangers for pedestrians right now (little or no sidewalks). They should have closed up the whole area for the construction.

Having said that, I'll be back soon for business, and I'll plan to attend the Expo.

Posted by: Ponpon (IP Logged)
Date: July 22, 2009 11:56AM
well,i am expo volunteer,hahahaha~~~~smileys with beer

Posted by: Agua2009 (IP Logged)
Date: July 23, 2009 07:33AM
i want to be volunteer,too
how to make the application?

Date: July 23, 2009 11:37PM
check the website,and there's much informantion on it.but we registered first in our university.seems most for college students.
wharever,just have a try if you wanna,good luck~~

Posted by: Moroes (IP Logged)
Date: July 24, 2009 12:05AM
Do you get paid to volunteer?

Date: July 25, 2009 05:49AM
spinning smiley sticking its tongue out no payment~~

Posted by: Daviaz12 (IP Logged)
Date: July 27, 2009 03:26AM
i have been once, but i think is one ofe best cities around the world, the r alot of engineering develoment there , starting with the maglev and amazing huge building with high end tech, is beatiful city the best for me , im going back for sometime amazing place

Posted by: Takat (IP Logged)
Date: July 27, 2009 10:25AM
I just went there during my three week trip through China (I'm currently writing mini-articles and posting lots of pictures of gorgeous landscapes, cultural scenes, interesting food, etc at the Katacomb if anyone is interested. I'd so appreciate it if someone would drop me a comment if they check it out--I'm always looking to improve my writing!) and loved it. My parents met and dated in Shanghai, so it's always been a bit special to me. I am going to fight tooth and nail to make room in my schedule to return next year for the World Expo!

Posted by: Silver.Panda (IP Logged)
Date: July 28, 2009 09:17AM
Shanghai, home of the world's largest bottle opener, the Shanghai World Financial Center!
-Show me the bottle of beer that it opens and I'll show you one happy panda!

I really want to like Shanghai but my experiences have been mixed.

Regardless, hoping for the best, for someone considering relocating for the Expo where would be the best place? What area would be the most convenient for travel to and from? What sort of longer term accommodation is suggested?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Posted by: Bifa (IP Logged)
Date: August 04, 2009 09:56AM
It seems like a good time to visit Shanghai during 中國2010年上海世博會

From Takat's blog [katacomb.blogspot.com] I think July is a little hot and humid for me. I think I will go around May01/2010. Does anyone know if the humidity is dryer at that time? I could go say in Sep or Oct, may be it is better?

I could stay for 世博會 for about 10days, and then go around visiting businesses and sightsee for 20days, for a total of about a month.

I will need a local guide, basically to have relax and fun trip. Anyone know any locals that may be interested? I used to speak Mandarin, but I haven't spoken it for so long, I now speak broken Mandarin.

Date: August 04, 2009 11:44PM
well, just finished online volunteer test~~

Seems the motto for expo volunteers is not that bad,世界在你眼前,我在你身边。hehehehehe.

for someone considering relocating for the Expo where would be the best place? ----Sunsetlover's words are right.because of the 2010 Expo construction, many places in shanghai have been in a mess.the freeway connects our university town and downtown shanghai has been turned off since months ago,it's said to turn on in next may~~bad news. so maybe you can consider relocating after Expo,hehehe~~if just for visiting,hotels nearby the Bund is the best choice.

What area would be the most convenient for travel to and from?
--shanghai's traffic on rush hour is horrible~~~but i think the government has some special measures for Expo,then downtown shanghai is the most convinent area without doubt.
What sort of longer term accommodation is suggested?
maybe rent a apartment~~

Posted by: Takat (IP Logged)
Date: August 05, 2009 10:20AM
@Bifa. I'm not sure about May, but around September or October the weather should definitely be better heat-wise. The tickets tend to be much cheaper then, too! During the summer months, prices skyrocket.

Takat

Writing away about my latest 3 week adventure through China at the Katacomb

Date: August 14, 2009 01:31AM
Takat's link is blocked here,maybe because i am in the office smiling smiley

as far as i know,the ticket price is as follows,

Tickets for the World Expo 2010 has been on sale for groups since March 27 and for the public on July 1.

The basic ticket price will be 160 yuan (US$22.40). Foreigners will be able to buy tickets from overseas outlets authorized by the Bureau of Shanghai World Expo Coordination.

From March 27 to June 30, group bookings can be made for organizations, institutions and enterprises. The public can buy tickets from July 1, Zhong Yanqun, fulltime deputy director of the World Expo 2010 Shanghai Executive Committee, told a press conference today.

Peak day admission tickets will cost 200 yuan and will cover 17 days including Chinese Labor Day holiday (May 1-3), National Day holiday (October 1-7), and the last week before closing (October 25-31).

Tickets will be discounted from 10 to 30 yuan for those who buy before the Expo opens on May 1, 2010.

People going to the Expo after 5pm (apart from the peak days) can get tickets for 90 yuan but only during Expo.

Three-day passes will cost 400 yuan and seven-day passes 900 yuan.

Posted by: Silver.Panda (IP Logged)
Date: August 14, 2009 08:37PM
Thanks for ticket info Ponpon. How about a single pass for the whole fair? I haven't seen it..

The Aichi (Nagoya) Expo'05 had that and I saved TONS of money. The site was HUGE! Even with planning, reading up, and over 20 visits including two pre-open media days, I still didn't see it all. Best is if you are working or volunteering there, as I see you are Ponpon spinning smiley sticking its tongue out There'll be something different going on every day. And unless you're there every day you're not going to know.

Shanghai is not really great for bicycles.. is it? I've been told it's illegal to ride in Pudong. Never seen any bikes there.. Is it true? It might be a good place, if I can ride that is.

It's going to be a blast! Just hope I can manage the time away from work. Anyone interested in doing a work swap, come teach kids in Osaka?

Date: August 16, 2009 01:40AM
about the a single pass for the whole fair,i scanned all ticket information and couldn't get either~~~maybe they haven't considered people who wanna go to the fair every day.

bicycles are allowed in most places of shanghai,but some main streets in downtown do forbit bicycles,it's silly and many people are complaining about it,but the procedure goes slowly.and for Pudong,i know it's illegal to ride bicycles on Century Avenue,maybe some other streets i am not sure since i am far away there.

Date: August 19, 2009 09:35PM

Posted by: Porsche777 (IP Logged)
Date: September 06, 2010 12:54AM
ponpn,
i bicycle alot in shanghai.
I was a bicycle racer in europe. race 120 kilometers 4 hours.
in shanghai you can bike every where. it's safe, delicious.
especialy in pudond the roads are so large their.
Just soem main avenues like century avenue are bike fobiden.
It's not a big issue, you take a parallel street and that's it.
But in puxi also you can ride during hours in large street.
inside puxi the street are not so large and some traffic but it's totaly ok.
Just in puxi you must go outside the middle circle of the city. the street are large, and no traffic their.
in puxi outside the middle cirlce it's as quite as pudong.
and the streets are as large.
enjoy

Posted by: Irfanovsky (IP Logged)
Date: October 01, 2011 11:09AM
Shanghai history is really great. Many movie maker take shanghai is the place for their film. Is Shanghai safe now? No more Shanghai gansters as seen on telelvisions?

Posted by: Celiacelia (IP Logged)
Date: May 16, 2012 01:05AM
Despite missing the 2010 Shanghai World Expo, but plan a trip to Shanghai, to feel when the grand

Posted by: Tanzilremu (IP Logged)
Date: May 17, 2012 06:17AM

This forum is currently read only. This is a temporary situation. Please check back later.
page served in 0.085s