View recent posts | Search | Navigate:

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
How to use 连 or 甚至
Posted by: Arnold (IP Logged)
Date: October 17, 2007 10:25AM
The dictionary gives the exact same definition:

(lián) even
  甚至 (shèn zhì) even

Could you give me some examples to illustrate the difference?
Thanks.

Re: How to use 连 or 甚至
Posted by: oneTree (IP Logged)
Date: October 20, 2007 01:34AM
for example:

1、她 走都不会,怎么能跑呢?
2、她不会做饭,甚至 不会穿衣服!

Posted by: oneTree (IP Logged)
Date: October 20, 2007 01:45AM
你可以说:
她连走都不会,怎么能跑呢? 也可以说:她甚至走都不会,怎么能跑呢?
但不能说:她不会做饭,连不会穿衣服!(这句是错误的)
所以,这就是这两者之间的差别

如果你还有什么需要帮助,可以联系我:[email protected]

Posted by: xyjsrenddd (IP Logged)
Date: October 23, 2007 10:21AM
There are some differences between 连 and 甚至 in grammartical usage just as follows:

1, 甚至 can be used as conjuction in grammar to emphasize the followed part, but the subordinate clause with 甚至 is always put at the end of the full compound sentence, which means you cannot put the clause with 甚至 before the principal clause.

For example, 我妈妈会说中文,我也会说中文,甚至我儿子也会说中文.(wo3 ma1 ma hui4 shuo1 zhong1 wen2, wo3 ye3 hui4 shuo1 zhong1 wen2, shen4 zhi wo3 er2 zi ye hui4 shuo1 zhong1 wen2)

the sentence means Besides my mother and me, EVEN my son can speak Chinese too. In this sentence, you cannot put the last clause---甚至我儿子也会说中文(shen4 zhi wo3 er2 zi ye hui4 shuo1 zhong1 wen2)--- before the rest of the sentence.

甚至 also can be used as an adverb also to emphasize something followed, but you should put 甚至 before verb in that case.

For example, 他甚至不会做饭. ( ta1 shen4 zhi4 bu2 hui4 zuo4 fan4) This sentence means he even cannot cook, in which 甚至 was put before the verb, 做.

As far as 连, it also means "even" when used by itself to indicate emphasis but it's normally used with other particles such as 都(dou1) or 也(ye3).

For instace:
A, 这事连小孩都知道 (zhe4 shi4 lian2 xiao3 hai2 dou1 zhi1 dao4)------Even children know it as well
B, 你怎么连这点小事都办不了 (ni3 zen3 me lian2 zhe4 dian3 xiao3 shi4 dou1 ban4 bu4 liao3)----------Why were you unable to handle with such easy matter?
C, 你连母语也说不好 ni3 lian2 mu3 yu3 ye3 shuo1 bu4 hao3--------- You even cannot speak your mother language very well.

That's the main difference between them. I'm a perfessional chinese teacher, very glad to help you with chinese.

Posted by: veleta (IP Logged)
Date: October 25, 2007 03:42AM
tip:连&甚至 could also use together
for ex.他甚至连做饭都不会
ta1 shen4 zhi4 lian2 zuo4 fan4 dou1 bu2 hui4
He could not even cook.

Posted by: vika (IP Logged)
Date: November 04, 2007 05:33PM
haha, 给一个难的,你甚至连这个都不知道!:)

Posted by: Arnold (IP Logged)
Date: November 04, 2007 09:40PM
Thank you for all your responses, it's much clearer now.
And what a tricky example Veleta and Vika gave! But it's a really nice tip to understand the difference.

This forum is currently read only. This is a temporary situation. Please check back later.
Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
page served in 0.049s