Search the dictionary
Search Chinese-Tools.com
View recent posts | Search | Navigate:

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Where to Eat in Beijing?
Posted by: Chinasundae (IP Logged)
Date: December 02, 2009 12:11AM
Hi everyone, I am trying to organize a list to help those who are in China but not sure where to eat. For more info with pictures, you are welcome to visit my blog at www.chinasundae.com

Where to Eat in Beijing? - Part I *Beijing Cuisine*

Beijing, the capital of China, this city offers cuisines from all over the world. I feel there must be a new restaurant opens every day or something. Evey summer I go back, my parents and friends always take me to all these new awesome places. Chinese people care about their food very much, it is an important part of the culture. If you know a little bit of Chinese, we even use “Have you ate today?” (吃了吗?) as a way to say hello to their neighbors and friends. I love Chinese food, but unfortunately, the city I live in right now does not have many great Chinese restaurants, so every year I go back to Beijing, I eat extra!!

I have been reading and surfing online quite a bit, and I feel the majority of the Chinese travel sites do not provide enough information about those hot and popular restaurants in China. Of course they concentrate on other useful stuff such as attractions, lodging and transportation etc. If you are planning on traveling to China soon, I hope you find this information helpful and make your trip just a little bit more deliciously special. smiling smiley

The following information is gathered from dianping.com, one of the most powerful online city guide that provides information about dining and entertainment in China. The pictures are actual pictures from the restaurants.

*Beijing Cuisine*
1.Da Dong Roast Duck Restaurant (Dong Si Shi Tiao Branch) 大董烤鸭店(东四十条店)

* Cuisine: Peking Duck
* Rating: 5 stars (3338 votes)
* Average cost per person: ¥184
* Address: No. 22A Dong Shi Si Tiao , Dongcheng District. 东城区东四十条甲22号南新仓国际大厦1-2楼
* Phone: 010-51690329 51690328
* Hours: 11am – 10pm
* Dishes: Peking Roast Duck, Salted Duck Liver, Wasabi Duck Feet, Braised Four–Delicacies of Duck, Baked Duck Heart, Chinese Cabbage with Honghua Sauce.
* Notes: Good for business, friends, family and couples. Accept cash and credit cards. The Peking Duck here has “8 side dishes and 3 ways to eat”. Duck skin is “crispy”, “melt in your mouth”. Salted Duck Liver is “tender” and “tasty”, “a must try”. Good environment, very popular. Lots foreigners. Reserve at least “2 to 3 days in advance”.

2. Najia Xiaoguan (Yonganli Branch) 那家小馆 (永安里店)

* Cuisine: Imperial Cuisine
* Rating: 5 stars (3660 votes)
* Average cost per person: ¥103
* Address: Yong’anli South of Xinhua Insurance Building, Chaoyang District. 朝阳区建国门外永安里新华保险大厦南侧(119中学西侧)
* Phone: 010-65673663 65686553
* Hours: 11:30am – 9:45pm
* Dishes: Crispy Skinned Shrimp, Emperor’s Crockpot, Chinese Yam with Osmanthus Sauce, Apricot Kernel Chicken, Shining Mashed Potatoes, Plum Juice.
* Notes: Good for friends, business, couples, family and a short break. Accept cash and credit cards, outdoor seating area. “Doesn’t look too special from the outside”. Qing Dynasty inspired decorations. Wooden furniture, blue willow dishes. Crispy Skinned Shrimp and Emperor’s Crockpot tastes good with reasonable prices. Just very “unique”. Good for small gatherings.

3. Diaoyutai State Guesthouse 钓鱼台国宾馆

* Rating: 5 stars (533 votes)
* Average cost per person: ¥1098
* Address: No. 49 Sanlihe Rd. Xicheng District. 北京西城区三里河路49号
* Phone: 010-58591199
* Dishes: Buddhist Delight, Cuttlefish Egg Drop Soup, Shark Fin, Lion’s Head Meatballs, Steak, Abalone
* Notes: Good for business meetings. “Best environment, you get a view from every angle”. ” So unique to find such place in Beijing”. Very professional waiters, great service. Dishes are elegant, low sodium, the taste “does not offer any surprises”, but there is nothing bad about the taste either. P.S. You can do wedding receptions here.

4. Huajia Yiyuan (Siheyuan Branch) 花家怡园 (四合院店)

* Cuisine: Chinese, Peking Duck
* Rating: 4 and half stars (2332votes)
* Average cost per person: ¥100
* Address: No. 235 Dongzhimeinei Rd. Dongcheng District 东城区东直门内大街235号
* Phone: 010-64051908 64030677
* Hours: 24 hours
* Dishes: Plum Juice, Bawang Chicken, Huajia Cabbage, Paper Wrapped Chicken Wing, Foil Wrapped Bass, Baye Roast Duck
* Notes: Good for friends, business, couples, and family. Accept cash and credit cards, outdoor seating area, live performances, late dining. Unique environment, the restaurant is inside of an old Beijing courtyard house (四合院), have an “antique feel”. Clean and simple decors. Bawang Chicken, Roasted Duck, Chicken Wings are “good choices”, it’s a great place for any kind of gathering.

5. Quanjude Peking Roast Duck (Hepingmen Branch) 全聚德烤鸭店(和平门店)

* Cuisine: Peking Roast Duck
* Rating: 5 stars (3699 votes)
* Average cost per person: ¥160
* Address: No. 14 Qianmen West Street, Xuanwu District 宣武区前门西大街14号楼
* Phone: 010-63023062
* Hours: 10:30am – 8:00pm
* Dishes: Peking Roast Duck, Wasabi Duck Feet, Salted Duck Liver, Braised Duck Heart, Duck Bone Soup, Sweet Pea Puree
* Notes: Good for friends, business, couples and family. Accept cash and credit cards. Worldwide famous for its roast duck. Unique recipe, “you can not taste it anywhere else”. Over hundreds of years of longstanding culinary heritage. Duck skin is “crispy”, Duck meat is “tender”. Duck heart, Duck liver and Duck feet are good side dishes to compliment the roast duck. Walking distance from Subway line 2, Hepingmen Station.

6. Bai Jia Da Yuan 白家大院

* Rating: 5 stars (1327 votes)
* Average cost per person: ¥249
* Address: No. 15 Suzhou Street, Haidian District 海淀区苏州街15号乐家花园内
* Phone: 010-62658851 62654186
* Hours: 11:00am – 10:00pm
* Dishes: Imperial Appetizers, Grilled Venison, Sweet Pea Puree, Shrimp Ball, Golden Garlic Rib, Lychee, Braised Chicken
* Notes: Good for business type gatherings. Accept cash and credit cards. Outdoor seating, free parking. Live erformances. The location was originally a “Royal Courtyard”. Waiters wear “imperial clothing”. When they see customers, they say “Nin Ji Xiang” (Wish you Fortune and Luck). Performances include dances, Peking opera, and other traditional Chinese instrumental playing. The dishes’ appearance are “better than the taste”. Pricing is “Expensive”. Good for business meetings. Especially popular among foreigners. Unique and fun environment.

7. Pianyifang Roast Duck (Xishijian Branch) 便宜坊烤鸭店(新世界店)

* Cuisine: Peking Roast Duck
* Rating: 4 stars (1085 votes)
* Average cost per person: ¥90
* Address: 3rd floor, No. 5 Chongwenmenwai Street, Chongwenmen District 崇文区崇文门外大街5号新世界二期青春馆3楼
* Phone: 010-67088680
* Hours: 11am – 9:30pm
* Dishes: Peking Roast Duck, Salted Duck Liver, Wasabi Duck Feet, Braised Four–Delicacies of Duck, Salt and Pepper Fried Duck Bones
* Notes: Good for friends, family and business. Accept cash and credit cards. It’s been around for a long time, an “authentic Chinese traditional” restaurant. You have to “eat the roast duck”. Different from other Roast Duck restaurants, their duck is “not grilled, it’s baked”. Crispy skin, tender meat, and wonderful taste. The duck soup is less tasty. Other dishes and deserts are also great. The restaurant is “open spaced”, “bright” and with “good servic”e.

8. Shanba (Mountain Bar) 山吧

* Cuisine: Country Food
* Rating: 4 and half stars (2699 votes)
* Average cost per person: ¥74
* Address: Buyegu, Yanqi County, Huairou District 近郊怀柔区雁栖镇不夜谷
* Phone: 010-86695883 61627396
* Hours: 10:30am – 10:30pm
* Dishes: Grilled Red Snappers, Fried Pepper Sprouts, Pork Rib Green Bean Stew, Sashimi, Wild Vegetable Salad, Vegetable Buns
* Notes: Good for friends and family gatherings. Accept cash and credit cards. Outdoor seating area. Next to mountains and lakes. Buildings are made of wood. Silver wares look “clean”. You have to try their “Grilled Red Snappers”. All dishes on the menu are crowd pleasers. Fresh air, relaxed environment, “hard to not to be in a good mood” while you are here. Super crowded during holiday seasons. “Quite noisy” and hard to find a place to park.

9. Guolin Family Cuisine (Xizhimen Branch) 郭林家常菜 (西直门店)

* Cuisine: Homemade Style
* Rating: 3 and half stars (1636 votes)
* Average cost per person: ¥43
* Address: No. 15B Xichengmenwai Street, Xicheng District 西城区西直门外大街德宝新园乙15号
* Phone: 010-68345043 68353633
* Hours: 10am – 10pm
* Dishes: Kungpao Chicken, Chili Garlic Pork, Spicy Fish Stew, Fried Sweet Custard, Crispy Lam Leg, Black Bean Sauce Pork, Sichuan Eggplant
* Notes: Guolin is a huge franchised restaurant in China, you can find it everywhere. “Lots of choices” of homemade food, “inexpensive”, but “nothing special”. “Won’t disappointed” their customers. Environment and Service are “OK”. A “crowd pleaser” place. Lots of people, “loud noises”. If you are “lazy to cook” at home, or friends want to find a restaurant with good values, you should think about going to Guolin.

10. Shaguoju (Xisi Branch) 砂锅居 (西四总店)

* Cuisine: Homemade Style, Crockpot
* Rating: 4 and half stars (1199 votes)
* Average cost per person: ¥63
* Address: No. 60 South Xisi Street, Xicheng District 西城区西四南大街60号
* Phone: 010-66087621 66021126
* Dishes: Crockpot Meat Stew, Fried Mini Meat Balls, Baked Pork Rolls, Stir Fried Fish Fillet, Stir Fried Kidney
* Notes: Good for friends and family gatherings. Accept cash and credit cards. A very famous old restaurant. When enter the restaurant, right away, you can see their logo, “a huge crockpot” in front. Famous for “homemade taste food”. Crockpot Meat Stew uses the very traditional Chinese cooking. Thin layered pork shank meat, with sour cabbage and rice noodle. Apricot kernel tofu is cool and sweet. Good service. If you go during the lunch/dinner hour, it will be “very crowded”.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2009 12:13AM by Chinasundae.

This forum is currently read only. This is a temporary situation. Please check back later.
Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
page served in 0.168s