Search the dictionary
Search Chinese-Tools.com
View recent posts | Search | Navigate:

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Tattoos, piercings and alternative dress styles in China
Posted by: Shareenypoohs (IP Logged)
Date: January 07, 2010 10:14PM
How do Chinese people view tattoos and piercings? Are they seen as something bad, good, common for westerners or are you indifferent towards them? are there are any differences in the way people view men and the women who have them? same questions apply to interesting fashion sense spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2010 06:06AM by Olive.

Re: Tattoos, piercings and alternative dress styles e.g goth or emo look
Posted by: Uberche (IP Logged)
Date: January 08, 2010 02:13AM
I'd say the Chiense view of both Tattoos and Piercings (other than Ears) is about the Western view from the 1980s.

Most people still think they are for bad people those some young people, especially the poorer or the very rich are getting them to be cool now.

Tattoos have always been associated with the Triads (Chinese Mafia) so they are still not considered good.

Re: Tattoos, piercings and alternative dress styles e.g goth or emo look
Posted by: Shareenypoohs (IP Logged)
Date: January 08, 2010 07:15AM
thanks Uerbywerby lol

Re: Tattoos, piercings and alternative dress styles in China
Posted by: Clevermae1 (IP Logged)
Date: January 14, 2010 08:03AM
I think that although they don't view tattoos or any kind of body art as well as ultra-modern fashion the way Westerners do, Chinese are beginning to embrace them or become more open to them.

Re: Tattoos, piercings and alternative dress styles in China
Posted by: Uberche (IP Logged)
Date: January 17, 2010 07:24PM
They think they are cool but VERY few people would actually get them. At a University in the West lots of students have tattoos, at the 5 Universities I've taught in China I've never met anyone, and I ask every class as i have a lesson plan around advanced appearance words...

But it is getting less frowned upon in the major cities. I'd say another 5-10 years and they will be becoming quite popular.

This forum is currently read only. This is a temporary situation. Please check back later.
Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
page served in 0.16s