Search the dictionary
Search Chinese-Tools.com
View recent posts | Search | Navigate:

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Working on a story I'm having a problem with naming my Chinese character
Posted by: Icecake (IP Logged)
Date: August 21, 2010 11:39AM
Hi. I'm currently working on a story and I'm having a problem with naming my Chinese character. As she's a rich, elegant, sophisticated and smart woman from the North (at least 25 years old), I would want something that sounds upper-class: old-fashioned but elegant, sophisticated, and smart, and with a Northern surname.

The problem is, I don't know much about Chinese name trends to know what is tacky and what isn't, and the only thing I know about surnames is that Li, Zhang and Liu are more common in the North. I researched around Chinese baby naming sites, and like the name Meilin - but again, I don't know whether it's tacky or not, or if the possible characters you can use for that name can add up to something appropriate for my character. If possible, I'd like to avoid the character 雅, as I think it's a bit obvious (unless it isn't, of course).

Oh, and my character has a 19 year old younger sister who's cute and more girlish (the elder is ladylike and all-woman, not a "girl"). To help with the "old-fashioned rich people" mood, I'd like to use generational names too. But again, I don't know if that's considered tacky. Help, anyone?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2010 01:57AM by Olive.

Re: Working on a story I'm having a problem with naming my Chinese character
Posted by: Crazytony (IP Logged)
Date: August 21, 2010 08:40PM
Hi Icecake,

'Meilin' as you mentioned in your post, in Chinese, it is '梅林'. Actually, I don't think this name is good for your character, because this name don't sound elegantly. Elegant in Chinese means '优雅', and '雅' is a wonderful given name for a girl, I think.

Naming is a tricky job to everyone, I thought for about 5 minutes and no good name comes up. So, I went through all the girls I know, and tried to find out a girl who is close to your character, and an last, I found a name, '苏洁'. In Chinese it pronounces Sūjié. '洁' means pure, clean. I think, it is a good name. Hopes it can help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2010 01:59AM by Olive.

This forum is currently read only. This is a temporary situation. Please check back later.
Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
page served in 0.134s