Search the dictionary
Search Chinese-Tools.com
View recent posts | Search | Navigate:

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Do chinese people believe in ghosts?
Posted by: Geroid (IP Logged)
Date: September 09, 2010 04:34PM
Do the chinese in general believe in ghosts. We in the west do and in ireland there is a particular type of spirit called the Banshee who heralds the arrival of death in certain families , by appearing and shreeking loudly.The hair on the back of the neck rises in the presence of such spirits.What is the chinese word for Banshee and do you have an equivalent spirit....the hairs are high on my neck ...eeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhh

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2010 01:58AM by Olive.

Re: Ghosts
Posted by: Trien (IP Logged)
Date: September 09, 2010 08:56PM
Banshee = 狺女 in Chinese.

But, 牛头 [white: clothes, etc...] & 马面 [black: clothes, etc...], known collectively as 牛头马面 are two officials of Hell via Chinese Buddhism where one of their duties is to take the souls of those who are deceased, the exact job description of the GRIM REAPER in English.

Posted by: Uberche (IP Logged)
Date: September 10, 2010 05:28AM
China's belief in Ghosts is like the West's, many are scared but few actually believe.

Posted by: Linmingchong (IP Logged)
Date: September 10, 2010 06:07AM
There is no this spirit in Chinese culture. In Chinese legend, there are two powerful ghosts(one has ox's face and the other one has horse head) who are responsible for take the person's soul to the nether world once the one was dead. But they will never announce you beforehands. You also couldn't see them whether they were at your side because they are spirit without body.

Re: Do chinese people believe in ghosts?
Posted by: Xusi (IP Logged)
Date: November 17, 2010 02:23AM
Some old-age Chinese and the people from some small traditional countryside ,they trust Ghost ,besides the old saying of "Bull Face +Horse Head"who would collect back your soul ,aslo some other typical Chinese saying as like "If you do not do bad things ,then you don't need to be afraid of Ghost will knock your door in the midnight ",etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2010 02:58AM by Olive.

Posted by: Yao847zi (IP Logged)
Date: November 17, 2010 07:21AM
well, not all the chinese believe it

Posted by: Lfceternal (IP Logged)
Date: November 20, 2010 10:26PM
some does and some not

Posted by: Danny359131763 (IP Logged)
Date: November 20, 2010 11:19PM
At least, I believe it.

Because, sometimes there are some strange things happen.

Like one day, when i was sleeping, i heard something are moving on the stairs.

It,s like a man want to kill you and he is looking for you.

But i am not brave, so I did not do anything.

It,s so terrible, make me scary.

So, I believe it.

Though my dad do not believe me...

Posted by: Lafaso870 (IP Logged)
Date: November 26, 2010 03:26AM
Many people believe in part of them ,not totally.Because many things can't be explained in science.

Posted by: Astroboy (IP Logged)
Date: November 26, 2010 05:18AM
In Hong Kong and most parts of southern China, they are very afraid of "white ghosts" aka gwailo.

This forum is currently read only. This is a temporary situation. Please check back later.
Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
page served in 0.06s