Search the dictionary
Search Chinese-Tools.com
View recent posts | Search | Navigate:

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
There's no such thing as "Cheongsam-suited hostesses" in China
Posted by: Trien (IP Logged)
Date: October 23, 2010 07:33PM
If there were, I'm starting to wonder how they look like. Cheongsam IS NOT the same as qipao?!

Cheongsam = Traditional Chinese clothing for men AND women, not just for women made popular since the Sung Dynasty.

Qipao is a women's dress styled after Manchu women's clothing made popular after the Ching dynasty, with slits on the sides nowadays, which never existed in traditional Manchu dress, and some are made to suit Western ideas, making it actually look ridiculous, especially those with much higher collars and with a Western version of a skirt attached to the bottom portion of a qipao!

What I'm trying to say is: Westerners can't distinguish between Cheongsam & Qipao! But they are VERY VERY different?! The fact that most Westerners are making them interchangeable is crazy. Too many websites that don't make the distinction can tell you that they are NOT Chinese, or Chinese-minded. I won't do business with them. Because that's cultural. Even though, Manchus assimilated into Chinese society after the Ching dynasty, the styles of dress are very different from Chinese & Manchu cultures.

The topic should have said "Qipao-suited hostesses" not "Cheongsam-suited hostesses"! This part of the topic is from an email I received about the introduction to a hotel in Shanghai.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2010 06:30PM by Trien.

Re: There's no such thing as "Cheongsam-suited hostesses" in China
Posted by: Wangyaoqi (IP Logged)
Date: October 24, 2010 01:31AM
I thought they were the same before i read this article.

Re: There's no such thing as "Cheongsam-suited hostesses" in China
Posted by: Trien (IP Logged)
Date: October 24, 2010 06:40PM
Some are Manchu revisions of Chinese style clothing. Some are totally modified forms of qipaos in Hong Kong to reflect the Western dress style but yet still keep the Chinese style at the same time.

It is with the Westerners who made the traditional dresses of Manchu & Chinese styles or a combination of both or a combination of styles from Chinese and or Manchu with Western styles. That makes it wacky and weird. Collars would be much too high, and the midriff portion would be exposed, etc... It's no longer a Chinese/Manchu dress!!!

This forum is currently read only. This is a temporary situation. Please check back later.
Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
page served in 0.112s