Search the dictionary
Search Chinese-Tools.com
View recent posts | Search | Navigate:

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Chinese in foreign country?
Posted by: Flame (IP Logged)
Date: July 03, 2008 12:35PM
The numbers of Chinese people in my country are growing here. I want to be able to speak with them in their own language but there are some concerns I have:

1) Is it appropriate for a female to approach a male in Chinese culture?(The majority of persons I encounter are males)

2) I heard that Chinese people are offended if you mistake them for Japenese and vise versa. Is this true? How do I tactfully find out if someone is Chinese or Japanese?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2008 01:07PM by Flame.

Re: Chinese in foreign country?
Posted by: Xdk168 (IP Logged)
Date: July 08, 2008 05:32AM
1, yes,no problem for a foreigner.
2, just ask where are u from then you can find out haha

Posted by: Tony0930 (IP Logged)
Date: July 14, 2008 11:56PM
They become more and more open today.You can talk to them freely.Also they'll answer your questions friendly.And it's hard to distinguish them.
Just go to talk to them.

Posted by: Yarik (IP Logged)
Date: July 18, 2008 03:09AM
in my city no one Asian

Posted by: Dairyknight (IP Logged)
Date: July 29, 2008 07:22PM
1) Of course that's not a problem. Men are all the same. They'll never refuse a lady. lol
2) I don't feel good when mistaken for Japanese, but that's not a very big issue.Chinese guys are very nice, and easy-going. Good luck, girl.

Posted by: Yarik (IP Logged)
Date: September 17, 2008 09:08AM
Any one Chinese in Ukraine ???? I need help with Mandarin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2008 02:52AM by Yarik.

Posted by: Minderbinder (IP Logged)
Date: November 15, 2008 08:45PM
hi flame, as far as i know, japanese guys never wear glasses, but not chinese, maybe you can judge from that.

1) Is it appropriate for a female to approach a male in Chinese culture?(The majority of persons I encounter are males)

i think its okspinning smiley sticking its tongue out and i wish some hot chicks to approach me the finger smiley
but be careful not sending the wrong message, if you don't want that.

Posted by: Aquanetta (IP Logged)
Date: December 06, 2008 07:03AM
There are lots of Chinese people here in my town, but they all live in their own community. I love going to their side of town because it actually makes me feel like I'm in China. The restaurants don't serve soda, only tea, and nobody eats with a fork. Chopsticks only. And I get to practice my Chinese.

Now for your questions:

1. I don't think you'd have a problem with this. From my experience, Asian men love it when a foreign woman takes interest in them.

2. I have mistaken Chinese people for Korean and Japanese plenty of times, but it's all in how you approach them. Since I know Asians get upset when Westerners say that "Chinese, Korean and Japanese are all the same thing", I try to ask as politely as possible where they're from. "You wouldn't happen to be (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) would you?" is a good way to ask. Oh, and make sure you smile and sound friendly when you ask this.

Good luck! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Canuck (IP Logged)
Date: December 07, 2008 12:50AM
in Canada, there are a lot of Chinese Canadian, probably around 100k population wise....a lot of them grow up here..

1. nope, if there are chicks hit on me, of course i gotta flirt with them..
2. no big problem, Chinese here in Canada, get alone with Japs very well..
whatever happened in history, forget about it, let's move on.

"what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas!"

every Chinese live in Canada, should remember this,
On November 15, 2004, Bev Oda, only Japanese Canadian MP reintroduced Bill C-333, the Chinese Canadian Recognition and Redress Act, which calls on parliament to recognize the contribution of Chinese immigrants to Canada, and acknowledge the unjust past treatments of Chinese Canadians as a result of racist legislation. Oda is not herself Chinese, but is Canada's first parliamentarian of Japanese heritage.

people sometimes confuse that i am Inuit, because i love go out fishing and hunting deer...i was just pulling their legs.

This forum is currently read only. This is a temporary situation. Please check back later.
Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
page served in 0.123s