Search the dictionary
Search Chinese-Tools.com
View recent posts | Search | Navigate:

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
How do the Chinese people honour their dead?
Posted by: Jerzybor (IP Logged)
Date: November 01, 2008 04:41AM
Today is an important holiday in Poland. People honour their dead by going to the family graves to decorate them with flowers and to light lamp candles. You can have a look at photos from the last two years.
[polandsite.proboards104.com]

I would like to know how the Chinese people honour their dead family members. E.g., does it take place on one special day like in Poland or can be done throughout the whole year? Are candles lit? Is it an occasion for the family to reunite, like in Poland? Where do the Chinese people usually have their family graves? Not far from where they live or quite far due to migration? Are there any special customs connected with the day, similar to sweet eating in Poland?

Re: How do the Chinese people honour their dead?
Posted by: Guo.Zhixue (IP Logged)
Date: November 06, 2008 01:29AM
Yes, there are two special days in a year when people gather to honor their dead. One is in spring, the other in fall according to the Chinese lunar year. on these days, generally speaking, people go to the grave to place the wreath and dishes (cakes and fruit) there, and burn some "paper money" (not real currency) to ensure that the dead people will not suffer from poverty. In the past, the Chinese people did have family graves, but nowadays, because of the limited land especially in urban area, family groves are becoming rare, but still some remain in the coutryside; and for the urban areas, people tend to choose the public grave for their dead. The location of the graves, generally speaking, depends on Fengshui, which is a very complex system beyond my knowledge to explain.eye rolling smiley Hope this information can help.

Posted by: Jiwei (IP Logged)
Date: November 08, 2008 03:49AM
good reply

Posted by: Jerzybor (IP Logged)
Date: November 11, 2008 03:27PM
Thank you.

On another site I also learnt this about two festivals:

Ghost festival
[www.religionfacts.com]
Activities of the festival include preparing ritual offerings of food, and burning ghost money (or paper money) to please the visiting ghosts and spirits as well as deities and ancestors. Other activities include burying and releasing miniature paper boats and lanterns on water, which signifies "giving directions to the lost ghosts."

Tomb Sweeping Festival
[www.religionfacts.com]

Young and old pray before the ancestors, sweep the tombs and offer food and libation to the ancestors. The rites are very important to most Chinese and especially farmers. Many believe that if the ancestors' spirits are not properly cared for, they will become hungry ghosts that can cause trouble for the living.

Posted by: Minderbinder (IP Logged)
Date: November 15, 2008 08:32PM
It's called tomb-sweeping day often in April 5th.
and workers have a day off to going to their family graves and present some memorial rituals.

plus, if one very very old man past away without diseases and without any pain, his family even take it as something joyful (of cause, sorrow in heart). i'd
rather call it comedy funeral. like my grandpa died in his 92

This forum is currently read only. This is a temporary situation. Please check back later.
Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
page served in 0.272s