Search the dictionary
Search Chinese-Tools.com
View recent posts | Search | Navigate:

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Do Chinese youth like indie music?
Posted by: Nir (IP Logged)
Date: December 29, 2008 07:07PM
Hi there!

This is a question that I've made for myself so many times. I don't really know if the chinese youth listen this kind of music or if it is easy to get it of somewhere there in China. I know that in Hong Kong or Shanghai there are some 'alternative' groups but I've heard that the general taste of chinese is well, the music for entertainment ( I don't know how to say it).
All the Chinese I've met here in Europe, usually like Britney Spears ( and all her copies),the american commercial music, or Bisbal, raeggetton, and when I put them my music their faces were really funny, but most of them ,after the discovery, started to enjoy indie music.

With indie, I mean alternative rock/pop and electronic, groups like The Postal service, The killers, Adam Green, Roisin Murphy, Yelle, Artic Monkeys, Standard, The Moldy Peaches, and so on( the list is big ,this is just an example)

Well, it's just curiosity! ^^

Thanks smiling smiley

Re: Do Chinese youth like indie music?
Posted by: Uberche (IP Logged)
Date: December 30, 2008 07:08AM
Most Chinese in China like Pop. Even what they call Rock and Hip Hop is Pop. The Chinese state owned radio only plays pop and that seems to be all that's ever really pushed in this country. If you go to bigger cities like Beijing and Shanghai you will find a more diverse music scene slowly coming out but it's still growing.

That said those Chinese I have given other styles of music have a very mixed reaction. Either they love the different styles and want more variety or they just like what they are used to and hate everything else.

Posted by: Mod1984 (IP Logged)
Date: December 30, 2008 10:05AM
How strange that a country who's TV programs are full of singing/karaoke/pop idol style shows has such a small area of music to fall back on. The best thing about music is that there are so many different styles and varieties out there to hear and experience.

Date: December 30, 2008 08:18PM
Mod1984 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How strange that a country who's TV programs are
> full of singing/karaoke/pop idol style shows has
> such a small area of music to fall back on. The
> best thing about music is that there are so many
> different styles and varieties out there to hear
> and experience.

That's what happens when the government controls what is being advertised and pushed. They only push the most candy coated, Love inspired Pop. Imagine what music would be like if your mom and dad had to approve of everything you listened to....

Posted by: Jameslc (IP Logged)
Date: December 30, 2008 09:28PM
No,indie music is not popular here, i don't think my friends will like indie music. for me, honestly, it sounds a little bit strange with almost same tune.smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2010 12:19AM by Olive.

Posted by: Onthink (IP Logged)
Date: February 21, 2009 01:10AM
Not very popullar, only in Indian restaurant you will hear Indian music. I like Indian music.

Date: February 22, 2009 11:30PM
Onthink Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not very popullar, only in Indian restaurant you
> will hear Indian music. I like Indian music.

Indie means Independent, usually an alternative style of music. Not Indian.

Posted by: Neogirl (IP Logged)
Date: April 23, 2009 10:33AM
I think indie-music isn't popular all over the world. I live in Brazil and most brazilians just prefer Britney Spear stuff. I suggest you sign up at livejournal (yes it's a blog service). I have found some really nice communities where you can eventually discover chinese /jap/korean indie songs. Without livejournal I would only know main pop chinese singers until today.

Posted by: Enricobrasil (IP Logged)
Date: April 23, 2009 12:15PM
Neogirl, where do u live?

I live in Belo Horizonte.

Maybe we could help each other with Chinese issues! winking smiley

Date: April 23, 2009 12:37PM
Hi Enricobrasil

I'm in Recife, here in the northeast it's even more difficult to find c-music fans, only a bunch of otakus. I like j-pop too, there are some cool j-pop indie bands but I suppose there is enough of anime events here with loads of teenagers doing cosplay and that's pretty much all that they're after. You can add me as your buddy if you want. []s

Date: April 23, 2009 02:31PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2009 01:43AM by Enricobrasil.

Date: April 23, 2009 07:02PM
... too

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2009 02:48PM by Neogirl.

Posted by: Cailiping (IP Logged)
Date: July 11, 2009 10:43PM
Most chinese youths don't like that it's not only bacause many listen to music in chinese not english and also because Chinese indie music hasn't developed well. The goverment don't promote such kind of music through TV/Radio. And indie music is growing in other ways. There are music festivals for rock/pop bands held in different cities like Beijing, ZhenJiang, Shanghai, Hangzhou etc.., Besides, most of these bands always play their music in bars in different cities around China, like Yugong Yishan Bar in Beijing, Xi Wo in Guangzhou. usually these bands are seldom seen on TV and their music hardly appear on radoe. but they have their own fans.

those chinese youths who turely love music like various mucis including indie mucis. They can listen to indie music on the internet.

Date: July 12, 2009 10:18PM
Cailiping, but how can we find these bands on the internet?? Could you suggest any website or blogs so we could find them?

Date: July 13, 2009 02:53AM
http://www.rockyear.com is the rock music website with the largest visits volume in China as well as the biggest Chinese rock website in the world. it's a pity that it's not available now. sad smiley

but you can reach this website about indie in China : http://www.indiechina.com/index.htm

hope you like it .

Date: July 13, 2009 10:36AM
Both of those websites are offline now. Can we actually download stuff from them or is it just live streaming?

Date: July 13, 2009 11:11PM
What about alternative music?

Date: July 14, 2009 12:54AM
To Enricobrasil
are Alternative music and indie music the same ? i really don't know. from wiki, it is said Indie rock is a genre of alternative rock that primarily exists in the independent underground music scene.

so i think where you can get the indie music will also can find alternative music. Many underground rock bands in China are exsited but not often appear in the pubilc. They may appear in some special festivals like midi, and regular show places like bars.

To Neogirl,

confused smiley, i can open this website [www.indiechina.com] . But it's in chinese. i think it is just for live steaming. if you want download, you may try searching on the internet by respectively band names or songs names then download. Many bands have their homepage on my spacemusic, you can listen to their music their. Sorry, i don't know much about that so can't offer more help.

Date: July 14, 2009 10:05AM
Quote:
are Alternative music and indie music the same ?

The problem with Music Genre discussions is everyone has their own ideas of what music is what... I would say Indie is an offshoot of Alternative but I have a friend who would probably be angry at me for saying so because he loves Alternative and doesn't much care for Indie as Indie has become something of a hipster music style and he hates Hipsters...

Date: July 14, 2009 12:15PM
I agree with Uberche. But as for my understanding "indie" is just a short term for "independent", not too much related to music style. The fact is that some indie bands became popular and the term "indie" just came to mean the type of music these bands make...

What I understand about "alternative" is just some type of music that we can't quite match in any "regular" music style... Pretty much like a brand new "Progressive Rock"... Actually, I think I saw somewhere a new term: Post Rock. So, the music I like would be something between these alternative, progressive, post rock styles... grinning smiley

Some chinese bands that I'd say to be alternative are 寂寞夏日 (Lonely China Day) and 沼泽 (Swamp). I only have 1 寂寞夏日's CD and some few songs from 沼泽. I could use some help finding more things to download... =/

Date: July 14, 2009 03:03PM
PK-14, Carsick Cars and Joyside are all good bands, I guess alternative...

Date: July 14, 2009 08:41PM
I'll search... thx! thumbs up

Date: July 14, 2009 10:12PM
Dear Cailiping, I can now open www.indiechina.com too. Though I'm just a beginner in chinese, I will have a look. I found an english link there so it will help. smiling smiley

Date: July 15, 2009 01:44AM
you can also get to this website: [www.modernsky.com]

modernsky often hold music festivals in beijing, holding some pop/ rock bands, like PK-14, joyside, Wednesday's trip, new pants etc. Their previous festivals were really cool. i liked so much . spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: July 15, 2009 12:54PM
Thanks again Cailiping for your tips! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: July 18, 2009 07:52AM
Going tonight to see Joyside and others at D-22 in Wudaokou. Should be a good alternative Music show!

Date: July 18, 2009 11:16AM
smileys with beer i think so , enjoy it

Date: July 19, 2009 01:21PM
Cool! You could tell us about it later

Posted by: Roadend (IP Logged)
Date: July 21, 2009 03:43PM
touch chinese indie music,listen firs.by below link
[indiechina.com]
besides,i'm the editor of indiechina.com.thanks everyone!contact us,plz mail to info@indiechina.com

This forum is currently read only. This is a temporary situation. Please check back later.
Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
page served in 2.619s