Search the dictionary
Search Chinese-Tools.com
View recent posts | Search | Navigate:

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Interview of Chen Minglou
Posted by: Poemandpainting (IP Logged)
Date: January 11, 2009 11:15PM
FineArt News reports: [url=http://zjdaily.zjol.com.cn/msb/html/2009-01/10/content_4470163.htm][/url]

Everlasting Miss of Native Land
By Gao Tianmin
Recently more and more scholars noticed that China has experienced politics democratization and art populization in 20th century. Meanwhile art populization plays an important role among this process and its task has not yet completed till now. Because of the importance of this historic processing and the fact that art populization was always being shadowed, I chose “Art Populization” as research direction for my doctoral dissertation in 1999. Folk art is one among those main elements. It has two branches; one is heading into main stream of fine art, promote development to main stream art. The other one is left in folk for developing. Under the fierce intervention of ideology, folk art was transformed into “mass art”. This art had been added in complicated external factors such as western construction, perspective and color. However, the real folk art was eliminated as four stereotypes. Soon after ideology vanished, the folk art of new era had again returned with its original features. Which surprised me is how could folk art resume so quickly after such large scale destruction and why this renewed folk art could continue the origin tradition? After communicating with Chen Minglou, I think I have found the answer.

Chen Minglou is one honorable successful entrepreneur. After thirty years of hard work, he not only established one Chinese environmental key enterprise, but also published a mass of related essays, acquired over ten national patented inventions and had once participated in national related industry standard formulation. Therefore, when I have been told that he is an artist, I am kind of shocked. I could not imagine how his paintings would be. Maybe he is just like the other amateur painters who paint freehand or splash ink landscape for amusement. But after viewing his artworks I am even more shocked. His artworks are out of ordinary imagination and can not measure with common standard. They belongs to another style——folk art. Till now I do realize this is a valuable discover. The implication meaning is worth of our consideration.

Artworks of Chen Minglou are mainly based on landscape; some of them are flower-and-bird and figures. His flower-and-bird paintings are more about traditional themes such as phoenix, tiger, eagle, crane, pine, plum blossom, bamboo and some flowers. Figures are all in ancient costume. From here we can figure out that his art themes and images are all from tradition. As we all know, those subjects are common in county and are favored by peasants because those things are symptom of auspicious. Meanwhile plum, bamboo and sophist figures which from literati art are not for the need of aesthetics and were conflicted with folk art taste. This is because traditional literati painting impact on folk art and formed another tradition beside aesthetic appreciation and auspicious—respecting and yearning for culture and knowledge. We can also call it the “literati art” of folk art. Artwork of this theme can be found in many places and varied forms. So it has already been the inherent theme and manifestation of folk art. But the quantity is few. This can also indicates the literature value of Chen Minglou’s artworks.

The manifestation of his flower-and-bird painting and figure painting both need attention. He is neither focus on skill (that does not mean “no skill”) nor authentic circustom (has his own view of reality), but he concern more about Hedu. Hedu has multiple direction: first, composition—use the traditional image composition; second, aesthetic appreciation—Aesthetic tendency of the masses; third, narrative—demotic expression. Those are all typically manifested in Chen Minglou’s artworks. For example, bamboo has been abstracted and pour sprite in literati art, but in Chen Minglou’s art work, it obtains tradition costume significances: on composition, bamboo knot was painted with single stroke; on aesthetic, flamboyant color will entertain your visual sense; on narrative aspect, the combination with environment gives you the rational sense of his bird-flower painting and the same with his figure painting. From “Peaceful Soul and Place”, “Peaceful” and “Peace”, we can see the similar characteristic. However, figure painting are more focused on antiquated feeling and literati atmosphere that both are correspondent to folk art. In fact Hedu is not an index of technique but is index of psychology. It indicates Hedu need to coincide with psychology expectation. Psychology expectation which is divided into creation expectation and acceptance expectation is one vital element of folk art. It decides the nature and features of folk art. Creation expectation is the creator’s expectation to his works; it is based on folk art’s composition, aesthetic and narrative. The later one is the recipient’s expectation toward the artwork; it is on the premise of folk art’s composition, aesthetic and narrative. Due to the combination of these two, otherwise artwork will not be accepted by recipients. But I have to say that Chen Minglou is not paint for recipients but for his ideality and nostalgic of hometown. He once said his paintings are mainly based on the hometown landscape from his memory which impulse his creation. Landscape painting is the most important way to express his emotion.

Re: Interview of Chen Minglou
Date: January 11, 2009 11:18PM
Feel the peace life.

Date: January 13, 2009 02:37AM

Posted by: Mod1984 (IP Logged)
Date: February 05, 2009 10:53AM
.....WOW.......Beautiful and Aticualte.

Date: February 05, 2009 08:18PM

Date: February 05, 2009 08:19PM

Posted by: Sherryyao (IP Logged)
Date: February 06, 2009 08:01AM
very beautiful. haven't seen that before.

Date: February 09, 2009 10:08PM

This forum is currently read only. This is a temporary situation. Please check back later.
Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
page served in 0.235s