Search the dictionary
Search Chinese-Tools.com
View recent posts | Search | Navigate:

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Are Chinese people "over" superstitious?
Posted by: Avemahalz (IP Logged)
Date: May 17, 2009 11:20PM
I saw this funny thing on xxxHolic, it says like as Chinese have fear of number 4, 13, in an hospital don't have door 4 (lol); in a house instead of floor 4 have 3b (kkkkkk), etc... Peoples pay insane amounts of noney to have more 8 in their cellphone number (kkkkkk[2]), cut nails in a night means you will not stay at the day of your fathers death (lol), maybe occurs in the regions from Japan, Korea and China.
In various asian movies i saw asian people don't have soul. Example in "Suicide club", one started it and like 500 started to suicide (lol)... is true it? (kkkkkk[3]).

Before post this i asked some native chinese in my town, but no one give me a good reply. Could someone can explains it to me?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2009 11:31PM by Olive.

Re: Are Chinese people "over" superstitious?
Posted by: Avemahalz (IP Logged)
Date: May 17, 2009 11:29PM
Ci from number 4 = death sound i know...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2009 11:35PM by Olive.

Posted by: Moroes (IP Logged)
Date: May 18, 2009 12:00AM
The Chinese women are very superstitious, especially the South with Feng Shui. But the west also have their own too. Since you sound like you are not superstitious at all, go break some mirrors and see if you get bad luck.

Posted by: Uberche (IP Logged)
Date: May 18, 2009 10:11AM
Every country has their own. Chinese superstitions aren't so rooted in religion and most of ours are which I think it why we tend to view China as more superstitious, we don't consider some of the foolish things we do as superstition (10 Hail Mary's so you are clean again please).

4 is death because of the pronunciation. It's feeling is much like the West's 13, buildings in the west dont' have a 13th floor because it's bad luck. As well I haven't found buildings with no 4th floor yet.

8 means money and good luck so of course people want it. Just like people in the west often like 7. I remember three years ago on June 6 2006 there were people who didn't want a baby that day because it was 666.

It's all absurd but I don't think China is really any worse than any other country really.

Posted by: Glad (IP Logged)
Date: May 18, 2009 09:57PM
By the way Feng Shui is not superstitious folks. Some of it may look absurd but it is a science by itself.

Date: May 19, 2009 01:42AM
Feng Shui would definitely be a superstition by most people's definition. Of course everyone has their own faiths but the inclusion of a "Life Energy" that dictates things like direction and time of year to build things is not based on a regular science and as such it would be superstition.

Posted by: Moroes (IP Logged)
Date: May 19, 2009 02:39AM
Feng Shui is pretty much horoscopes and fortune telling integrated in Taoism. Horoscopes is like what day is good to get married and that day you will see many hotels and restaurants being booked up to hold weddings, which makses Feng Shui good for the economy in a way! Fortune telling that makes people rearrange their homes/business or how to construct certain buildings. Again this boosts the economy by giving business to the contractors and renovators.

It is a work of supersition but it gives a positive impact. It boosts the economy so you can see why so many people beleive in it. Really does bring Fortune! It also makes people buy more decorations for their business which actually makes the business look more appealing. Quite a lot of Psychology in it as well.

But you don't really need Feng Shui to tell you that a nicely decorated place is more attractive than a dully decorated place. But if that Chinese wife ain't following a Feng Shui book, she probably be using a Fashion/Trend Magazine to decorate the place. You can somewhat say Fashion/Trend Magazines are the modern Fenghui books in a way hahahah!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2009 02:40AM by Moroes.

Posted by: Glad (IP Logged)
Date: May 22, 2009 03:45AM
well folks, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. This is unfortunately what makes people with a bend of scientific mind scorn at anything which is not empirically proven. There are age old architectural science like fengshui in china or vastu shastra in India which was made purely based on the study of elements and the planetary positions. Now everything given in these ancients studies may not be right, like even what happens in today's scientific experiments. It fails even after repeated experimentation , so there is nothing definite or sacrosanct in this world. I think we are demeaning these ancients knowledge by calling it superstition. There is a clear distinction between supersitition and unproven scientific hypothesis and sciences like astrology or fengshui all fall under the latter category..

Posted by: Edgar0 (IP Logged)
Date: June 03, 2009 07:21AM
迷信哪里都有,你能区别宗教和迷信的区别吗?

Date: June 04, 2009 06:59AM
Quote:
There is a clear distinction between supersitition and unproven scientific hypothesis and sciences like astrology or fengshui all fall under the latter category..

What is that clear distinction? Astrology, in terms of horoscopes, is absurd and has never been tested to be legitimate. Fengshui is the same, They take something that makes sense and then twist it and add on all sorts of hidden meanings that are not at all scientific. They are Superstition. I was born a Virgo, I am not at all a clean freak or a perfectionist that I'm suppose to be according to Astrology. FengShui says you have to build doors on certain sides... What about all the places that don't listen to that and still do great?

Posted by: Allanhao (IP Logged)
Date: June 08, 2009 10:53AM
Avemahalz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I saw this funny thing on xxxHolic, it says like
> as Chinese have fear of number 4, 13, in an
> hospital don't have door 4 (lol);

There are buildings in my city without 4th and 14th floor. Nippon acutually share the similar like China as it says in the Japanese manga you read.
I think just like some buildings don't have 13th in western countries.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2009 10:54AM by Allanhao.

Posted by: Lilac (IP Logged)
Date: June 15, 2009 09:49PM
Our company building don't have the 4th, 13th and 14th floor. This is a blend of Chinese and Western "superstition". lols

Posted by: Enricobrasil (IP Logged)
Date: June 16, 2009 12:00AM
They'll probably soon start building places with the front door only...

This forum is currently read only. This is a temporary situation. Please check back later.
Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
page served in 0.127s