Search the dictionary
Search Chinese-Tools.com
View recent posts | Search | Navigate:

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Chinese Calendar
Posted by: Enricobrasil (IP Logged)
Date: June 04, 2009 10:33AM
Hi there!

I have a regular gregorian calendar spreadsheet which works for all years. Now I'm trying to include all the chinese holidays in it, but I'm having a VERY hard time trying to do that.

I've found a website that explains all the calculations of the chinese calendar, but sincerely I didn't understand a word of it (it's VERY complicated)... =/

So, I could use some help with that... If anyone also have a chinese calendar speadsheet so I could copy the formulas, I'd also appreciate...

Thx in advance!

Re: Chinese Calendar
Posted by: Uberche (IP Logged)
Date: June 07, 2009 09:13AM
[en.wikipedia.org]

There is the list. Figure out when the New year Day is and the rest can be understood from that as Month 1 Day 1. This year it was January 31st I think, next year I'm told it might be a little later. But not sure.

Posted by: Enricobrasil (IP Logged)
Date: June 07, 2009 07:24PM
Uberche, thx for trying, but that didn't help me at all...

There are 28475927599275 websites that can tell me when Chinese New Year will be, but that's not what I need. I need to know the mathematics so I can calculate by myself to know when the New Year will be on the following years to come...

Posted by: Ponpon (IP Logged)
Date: June 08, 2009 12:21AM
Okay, i can have a try.

In Chinese lunar calendar, people calculate the date according to the rotation period of moon, usually 12 months per year and 29/30 days per month. you can calculate lunar calendar like this: the moon can be right between the earth and the sun every month, so they three are on a straight line, that day is the beginning of a month, called 初一(another name is 朔日).

the longest day of a year is called 夏至(when the sun runs to tropic of carpricorn), and the shortest day 冬至(the sun is on tropic of cancer),then divide the whole year into 24 period between these 2 days, and so it comes 24 节气, and the first 节气 is called 立春, which means the spring is coming. then you can get the first month of Chinese lunar year, if you figure out the which month's 初一(朔日)is most close to 立春, then this month is the first month of Chinese lunar year, called 正月,and it's 初一 is the very beginning of Chinese lunar year, called 大年初一, and it's also the spring festival. Generally speaking, the spring festival comes between 20th, January and 20th, February.

But that’s not the whole story, because the Chinese calendar concerns the rotation period of sun too. Because the rotation periods of moon and sun are different, so the old Chinese people found out a way to fit lunar calendar to solar calendar, that they add a month at regular intervals, and the added month is called 闰月, the year when a 闰月added is called 闰年.the general years are called 平年. so 闰年in Chinese lunar calendar has 13 months. If the month is added after the fourth month of lunar calendar, then the precise name is 闰四月, the fifth month, then 闰五月,etc.

So in Chinese lunar year 平年(normal year)has 353 or 354 days on average and 闰年(a month added) 384 or 385 days, then all together it gets 365.2422 days, it’s very very very close to the time that earth running around sun for one circle takes.

The lunar calendar chases up solar calendar every 19 years.

As for adding month, there’s a special method to calculate, not too difficult,but I have to go for lunch now~~~tell u next time.hehe

Posted by: Allanhao (IP Logged)
Date: June 16, 2009 04:33AM
Even people in the city cannot know the calendar well in modern China, except some festivals coz it means holiday...

This forum is currently read only. This is a temporary situation. Please check back later.
Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
page served in 0.048s