Search the dictionary
Search Chinese-Tools.com
View recent posts | Search | Navigate:

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Symbols of roof guardian ornaments in China?
Posted by: Guestpass0001 (IP Logged)
Date: July 14, 2009 11:22AM
What are the meanings and symbols of these ornamental roof guardians ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2009 11:02PM by Olive.

Re: Roof Guardian Ornaments
Posted by: Uberche (IP Logged)
Date: July 14, 2009 03:02PM
Protecting from evil spirits, all I know is that the more there are the more important the building, from the looks of it that building is probably the Emperor's bedroom or something...

Though I gotta say, I prefer Korean's little animal guardian set to Chinese. They are more goofy looking.

Re: Symbols of roof guardian ornaments in China?
Posted by: Plupie (IP Logged)
Date: July 15, 2009 02:18AM
from left ,the biggest one is dragon mom
the second and the last I don't know,for sure they are gods.
the other 9 are nine dragon sons (but these 2 gods standing there make me not very sure others are dragonseye rolling smiley......anyway,still have 80% confidence they are dragons............)
in the mythology,the dragon mom has 9 sons,they all have different characters and habits.
the first one likes music,second one good at fighting(carved on the knife or sword),third prefers to risk adventure,forth can shout super loudly,fifth is quiet only listen(people thought this one means only get never lose,so wear a jade one it for luck),sixth can bear heavy things,seventh's field is debating and depress criminal,used in jail.eighth is erudite, ninth can quench fire.

There also lots of different understandings about that.

Because of different characters and habits they have different duty and for different wishes adored by people..For example,In the old library or book store house,the youngest dragon is always on the building or carved somewhere,to protect the house and books from fire.But only the emperor have can use all these 9 dragons at the same time ,symbolizing the supreme power of the emperor,to protect the country in all the aspects.

If you know Chinese ,you can search 龙生九子,or go to forbidden city or some historic site ,they will explain some to you.

Date: July 16, 2009 01:21AM
Plupie wrote:
Quote:
in the mythology,the dragon mom has 9 sons,they all have different characters and habits.
the first one likes music,second one good at fighting(carved on the knife or sword),third prefers to risk adventure,forth can shout super loudly,fifth is quiet only listen(people thought this one means only get never lose,so wear a jade one it for luck),sixth can bear heavy things,seventh's field is debating and depress criminal,used in jail.eighth is erudite, ninth can quench fire.

There also lots of different understandings about that.

Because of different characters and habits they have different duty and for different wishes adored by people..For example,In the old library or book store house,the youngest dragon is always on the building or carved somewhere,to protect the house and books from fire.But only the emperor have can use all these 9 dragons at the same time ,symbolizing the supreme power of the emperor,to protect the country in all the aspects.
Thank you Plupie, this is very interesting. So when there are less than nine dragons, the building is not used solely by the emperor, and the characters and habits of those dragons are to protect the building depending on what the building was used for, for example:

I will look up more on the 龙生九子 as you suggest. Ok, looking back on the very top picture again, the two other gods (?) in front of and behind the baby dragons are still a mystery. They look like they are leading them in a parade.smiling smiley Also, on the right, below the dragons and gods is a head that sticks out. Is that the head of another dragon or is it something else ?

Date: July 16, 2009 02:39AM
OMG,GP,i thinks i misguided you.The big one is dragon,and the seperate one below that group is dreagon also,the samll groups....I am sorry,i was wrong...not nine dragon sons,here you go,they explained very clear. They will tell you who's the leading god.(Read all those 3 pages)

[www.chinaculture.org]

Date: July 16, 2009 03:34AM
I think it's nice to find out. Thanks again Plupie.smileys with beer

Date: July 16, 2009 01:05PM
smileys with beer

This forum is currently read only. This is a temporary situation. Please check back later.
Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
page served in 0.07s