Search the dictionary
Search Chinese-Tools.com
View recent posts | Search | Navigate:

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Help me with my book plz. smiling smiley
Posted by: Jemima (IP Logged)
Date: March 29, 2015 10:42AM
Hi! I'm a Swedish writer and science teacher, and right now I'm working on a novel in which a Chinese boy is one of the main characters. The story takes place in a place far away, where this boy -- among with lots of others -- are living in a refugee camp.

Since I want my story to be realistic and since Chinese culture and language are different from mine, I’m afraid of making too many mistakes.
Could anyone help me? It would be greatly appreciated if you would!

Questions:

1. I have read a lot about Chinese naming traditions but being a foreigner I’m afraid my names will seem strange…
I named my main character Huang JinHai (as in golden sea, Huang is the surname) and he is 18 years old. Because they are living in a refugee camp with not much to do, the parents have several children (I know they usually don’t in China, but they don’t live there so…)

The story is set in the future, about 35 years from now. The people in the refugee camp were all farmers/peasants etc and the reason they had to flee was a natural disaster due to climate change in the future…

Here are the names of my main character’s family:
My main character, 18 years old: Huang JinHai 黄金海
Father, born year 2002: Huang BoHai 黄薄海
Mother, born year 2005 or so: Feng JiaLi 丰佳李
Young brother: Huang JinXing 黄金星
Young brother: Huang JinHang 黄金航
Young sister: Huang Jinfeng 黄金风
Young sister: Huang JinYun 黄金云
Youngest sister: Huang JinJin 黄金金

The sky/space theme of the name is intentional.
What do you think, will those names work? smiling smiley

2. Regarding relationships…
JinHai meets a girl who he at first thinks is a couple of years younger than him, but later he learns that she is about 2 years older than him.
Would he treat her differently at first, when he though she was younger? If so, how?

3. I’ve heard it’s a bit more strict in China when it comes to dating… How much experience with girls can an 18-year-old boy have? He is quite good looking. Could he have kissed girls, in school for example? Could he have done more than kissing? Would it be considered bad/wrong if he were alone with a girl? Even if it is considered wrong, is it common that couples are intimate with someone before marriage?

4. In my story Chinese space scientists discover a new, inhabitable planet that they name Taoyuan (which I hope means Utopia…). They explore it with an unmanned spacecraft that is called Hangtian (which I hope mean space ship). Later they travel to the planet with a spaceship called Hangtansuo (which I hope mean space explorer).
Are those names realistic? Do they mean what I intended?

I’ll probably have more questions later. smiling smiley
Thanks in advance!

Re: Help me with my book plz. smiling smiley
Posted by: Sunward (IP Logged)
Date: May 14, 2015 04:29AM
1 . About the name, in chinese tradition, descendants can not have same words in name as ancestors including father or other elder with blood bonding. But now there are some exception, you know, traditions is for breaking.

2. Attitude on girls with different ages, Chinese tradition is respecting elder and careing younger, It is different, In traditional and general, Chinese men prefer to younger girl than themselves. Maybe it is common all over the world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2015 04:34AM by Sunward.

Date: May 14, 2015 04:35AM
3. Love in early age is still opposed by parents, but not fresh in school especially high school. As a 18 year being adult, he is free to do more than Kissing, But only kissing without sex will make him more moral in the eyes of others. They can stay intimate, but better without sex before marriage. Though now most young people have sex before marriage, but no sex is still praised.

Date: May 14, 2015 04:36AM
4. Name Taoyuan is good, which means Utopia in Chinese. The other two names are too direct to be a name. like name a cat "animal".

This forum is currently read only. This is a temporary situation. Please check back later.
Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
page served in 0.044s